Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Format as currency within a measure in bar chart

I have a bar chart with all department names on the Y-axis. I've created a table with names and IDs of 2 different KPIs (Sales and Number of employees) so that users can select either Sales or No. of employees from a KPI slicer and the chart would display accordingly, one at a time. The Values measure used in the chart goes like this : SWITCH(VALUE([KPI ID Selected]), 1 , [Count of employees measure], 2 , [Sales measure], 0 ). It is showing both No. of employees and Sales in whole number format. 

How do I format the sales measure only in this Values measure for the chart to display Sales in VND? I've tried CURRENCY() and it didn't change anything. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @phuonganhtdinh 

For your case, the best way is use bookmark function to get it, here is a blog, you could refer to it:

https://radacad.com/bookmarks-and-buttons-making-power-bi-charts-even-more-interactive

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@phuonganhtdinh , you can pre-format and use but I doubt will change it into text so might not work

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-custom-format-strings

@amitchandak Right, it turned into text. Thanks anyway!

@phuonganhtdinh this can be done using calculation groups but you have to use Tabular Editor to achieve the same. Read this post here.

There is an idea on ideas forum, please vote when you get a moment so that this feature is directly available in Power BI.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I've read that post, unfortunately this isn't applicable to our setup at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion, I've never heard of calculation groups before!

@phuonganhtdinh  anyhow, glad you learned something new, stay on top of it, can be very useful.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

edhans
Super User
Super User

You'd need to return both of them as Text and use the FORMAT() function in your SWITCH statement. I don't know of a way to conditionally format number formats in Power BI. You can do colors, icons, bars, and more, but not number formats.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

@edhans Thanks. Wouldn't that break the bar chart though? As it only accepts values.

Yup, probably so.

What I would do is:

1. Create two tables, one for dollars and one for employee count.
  2. Create a two buttons, one for employee count, one for sales dollars
  3. Create a bookmark that hides the "employee count" button and sales dollar chart
  4. Create a bookmark that hides the "sales dollars" button and employee count chart
  5. connect the #3 bookmark above to the Sales dollars button'
  6. connect the #4 bookmark above to the employee count button

Let them toggle that way vs a slicer. You'll need to split your employee count and sales dollars into separate measures and format accordingly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.