Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

donovan_smith44
Frequent Visitor

Format Values by Month

Hi all, I have a table below:powerbi3.PNG

I wanted to know if it's possible in DAX to make the formatting dynamic with the current month. I would like this table to format values green if month has passed, blue if current month, gray if upcoming month and ideally update automatically when a new year starts.

I was thinking something like using the stock data, using an IF() statement and then applying today(), month(), and switch() (for the switching of text colors) might be a way to do it, but im not sure how.

is this possible? Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @donovan_smith44 

You can write a measure to read the month and return the color you want then use that measure to apply formatting to the text.

First the measure:

Formatting = 
VAR _Month = MONTH ( LASTDATE ( Dates[Date] ) )
VAR _ThisMonth = MONTH ( TODAY() )
RETURN 
SWITCH ( 
    TRUE(),
    _Month < _ThisMonth, "#62B153",
    _Month = _ThisMonth, "#A2D2E3",
    "#A2A2A2"
)

Those are the hex codes for the colors in your screen shot.

Then we apply the formatting:

ConditionalFormatMonths.jpg

View solution in original post

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@donovan_smith44 you are on right track, just create a measure with colors and then use that in conditional formatting. You can change column name and color as per your requirement.

KPI = 
VAR __currentMonthStart = EOMONTH ( TODAY(), -1 ) + 1
VAR __currentMonthEnd = EOMONTH  ( TODAY(), 0 )
VAR __month = MAX ( Phase[Month] )
RETURN 
SWITCH ( TRUE(),
    __month < __currentMonthStart, "Red",
    __month >= __currentMonthStart && __month <= __currentMonthEnd, "Blue",
    "Green"
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@donovan_smith44 you are on right track, just create a measure with colors and then use that in conditional formatting. You can change column name and color as per your requirement.

KPI = 
VAR __currentMonthStart = EOMONTH ( TODAY(), -1 ) + 1
VAR __currentMonthEnd = EOMONTH  ( TODAY(), 0 )
VAR __month = MAX ( Phase[Month] )
RETURN 
SWITCH ( TRUE(),
    __month < __currentMonthStart, "Red",
    __month >= __currentMonthStart && __month <= __currentMonthEnd, "Blue",
    "Green"
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you so much this is great.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @donovan_smith44 

You can write a measure to read the month and return the color you want then use that measure to apply formatting to the text.

First the measure:

Formatting = 
VAR _Month = MONTH ( LASTDATE ( Dates[Date] ) )
VAR _ThisMonth = MONTH ( TODAY() )
RETURN 
SWITCH ( 
    TRUE(),
    _Month < _ThisMonth, "#62B153",
    _Month = _ThisMonth, "#A2D2E3",
    "#A2A2A2"
)

Those are the hex codes for the colors in your screen shot.

Then we apply the formatting:

ConditionalFormatMonths.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.