Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TJ-9000

Format Dataset or Query

Hello,

I have a number of reports for different audiences that use the same dataset. I now basically copy all the query steps to each of my .pbix files and let them exist independently. As you might imagine this becomes maintainance heavy whenever I makey any changes to it because I want them to remain in sync, which now requires me to go into all files in order to say add a column. Also this of course duplicates the data on the Power BI server. 

My attemption fixes so far was to try and connect to an existing dataset using the Power BI Service, but I seem to lose the ability to change the format of the columns in dataset, for example I can't seem to add thousand separator. Secondly, I tried to set the correct format in the query process, which i also wasn't able to do, but maybe I missed something there. I figured maybe with dataflows it could be done, but don't think that solves it either as the connections seems the same as the way you connect to a dataset. 

Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TJ-9000

With a pro license, you could create an App worksapce in Power BI Service,

Add users (also need pro licenses) as members of this App worksapce with edit permission,

Create the original report (connect and transform data) with Power BI Desktop, publish the pbix to the App worksapce in Power BI Service,

Users connect to Power bi dataset with Power BI Desktop, then they can create their own reports.

Reference:

Collaborate in your Power BI app workspace

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggia @v-juanli-msft

I have my Power BI files uploaded to an App Workspace, and I've tried to do exactly what you suggest. The problem I run into is that when I connect to this dataset I cannot change the formatting e.g. have numbers displayed with a thousand seperator. The 'modeling' portion of Power BI desktop is greyed out when connecting directly to a dataset. 

Regards,

Tjeerd

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.