cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slc7456 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Format DAX function does not sort properly

Data Source: Tabular Cube 

Purpose: Create a new measure that is a whole number formatted as currency, i.e. no decimals. This new measure must be able to sort high to low. 

Background: Microsoft knows there is a bug that doesn't allow newly created measures to be formatted using the modeling tab link. Which is why a DAX query must be used to control formatting. 

Recently Microsoft announced that you could create new measures when using a Tabular Cube data source. I've created a new measure called SalesDAXFormat (see below). 

However, this new measure seems to sort alphabetically by number (right matrix). Does anyone know how I can get this measure to sort numerically from high to low (and vice versa)?  

sorting wrong - Power BI Desktop.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
scottsen Senior Member

Re: Format DAX function does not sort properly

Ya, I think you are hosed until the June release.  As soon as you use FORMAT( ) your measure it going to return text, and that will cause text based sorting... and not much you can do about that (outside of... don't use FORMAT, but then you hit the other bug w/ built in formatting not saving).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
scottsen Senior Member

Ya, I think you are hosed until the June release.  As soon as you use FORMAT( ) your measure it going to return text, and that will cause text based sorting... and not much you can do about that (outside of... don't use FORMAT, but then you hit the other bug w/ built in formatting not saving).

View solution in original post

slc7456 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I think you're correct. I'll try again in june. Thanks!
T_Fischer Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi Scottsen!

Do you know, if this issue was resolved? I'm having the same problem. 

I can't see any fix mentioned on the june-2017 update list.

Br, Torben

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 326 members 3,648 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: