Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

slc7456
Advocate III
Advocate III

Format DAX function does not sort properly

Data Source: Tabular Cube 

Purpose: Create a new measure that is a whole number formatted as currency, i.e. no decimals. This new measure must be able to sort high to low. 

Background: Microsoft knows there is a bug that doesn't allow newly created measures to be formatted using the modeling tab link. Which is why a DAX query must be used to control formatting. 

Recently Microsoft announced that you could create new measures when using a Tabular Cube data source. I've created a new measure called SalesDAXFormat (see below). 

However, this new measure seems to sort alphabetically by number (right matrix). Does anyone know how I can get this measure to sort numerically from high to low (and vice versa)?  

sorting wrong - Power BI Desktop.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, I think you are hosed until the June release.  As soon as you use FORMAT( ) your measure it going to return text, and that will cause text based sorting... and not much you can do about that (outside of... don't use FORMAT, but then you hit the other bug w/ built in formatting not saving).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, I think you are hosed until the June release.  As soon as you use FORMAT( ) your measure it going to return text, and that will cause text based sorting... and not much you can do about that (outside of... don't use FORMAT, but then you hit the other bug w/ built in formatting not saving).

does anyone know if its resolved? FORMAT() is still doign Text sorting

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Scottsen!

Do you know, if this issue was resolved? I'm having the same problem. 

I can't see any fix mentioned on the june-2017 update list.

Br, Torben

I think you're correct. I'll try again in june. Thanks!

Hi, 

Was this fixed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.