Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Debbie
Helper I
Helper I

Forecasting

So I have the July 2017 update and I'm trying to do some forecasting on a simple line graph. I have dates on my x-axis (1st of every month in date format) and a count value. So far, so good. I can see the Forecasting option on the Analytics tab and the graph looks very pretty, even if I haven't a clue what it actually tells me ....

Then I switch my x-axis to CATEGORICAL (so it shows me actual dates and not just years) and BOOM - the forecasting vanishes. Completely. WHY? Why on earth should it matter how I choose to display my dates?

Debbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks, @v-shex-msft  I've got it working. But as I said, I had to do everything in a very specific order! It's flaky, but I'm sure it will settle down in future releases ...

Debbie

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Debbie
Helper I
Helper I

So ... to get it to work, I had to do things in a *very* specific order - otherwise the Forecasting option doesn't even show up!

1. Add line graph
  2. Add dimensions to x and y axis
  3. Swicth on max/min/average & forecast
  4. Switch x-axis to CATEGORICAL(which makes CONCATENATE LABELS visible)
  5. Switch CONCATENATE LABELS off
  6. Switch x-axis back to CONTINUOUS

If I mess with my x-axis *before* I set the forecast, the forecast option doesn't appear at all - even if I set it all back to default.

Debbie

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That's the functionality as I understand it. You have to have a date axis and it has to be continuous.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

My date axis is continuous - it's just the display I'm trying to set. I want my months to be visible on the x-axis as well as the years.

Debbie

Hi @Debbie,

>>My date axis is continuous - it's just the display I'm trying to set. I want my months to be visible on the x-axis as well as the years.

So you want to show month year at the x-axis, right ?

If this is a case, you can refer to below steps:

1. Switch date column to hierarchy mode and only keep year and month.

7.PNG

2. Turn on the drill down mode, double click on one point to drill down.

8.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, @v-shex-msft  I've got it working. But as I said, I had to do everything in a very specific order! It's flaky, but I'm sure it will settle down in future releases ...

Debbie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.