Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forecasting multiple scenarios

Hi,

I am trying to write a measure that would give me a forecast which accounts for several changes throughout future months. An example of this would be: What would it look like if in July, sales increased x%; August, sales decreased x%; and September, sales increased x%. The variables are going to be manipulated by a slicer, and I would like to build that all into one measure (Future Forecast). Furthermore, I need to make it so that once we pass a month, those totals are locked into place (ie. At the beginning of February, January sales are frozen and will not be able to be manipulated until the next year.) 

So far, I've only seen my option as writing a measure for each month, and then manually freezing it as those months pass. This also creates a very inefective graph, creating lines for each month rather than one line with all the changes built in. What would you recommend I use to solve this? Nested what ifs, Switch true, etc..? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Does the replies above solve your problem? If it has been solved, please mark the correct reply as the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly.Thank you very much for your kind cooperation!

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately you have already hit on the best solution that is currently possible. Power BI has no memory. It starts over every time you refresh your dataset. If you want memory ("freezing") you need to hard code it (as you do) or use your data source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.