Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chaucer
Helper II
Helper II

Forecasting Sales

So, I want to create a table that forecasts the next 4 weeks sales by SKU. Table will look like this:

Week Commencing\ SKU   SKU A...
11/08/2020   A 
18/08/2020   B 
25/08/2020   C 
01/09/2020   D 

The forecasts (A,B,C,D) will be based on

• the average weekly sales for the last 4 weeks, plus

• the average weekly sales for the 3 weeks from the previous year of the relevant week commencing.

I'm trying to get my head around how that formula looks, and not sure I'm winning! My assumption is that I create a Measure that looks something like this:

divide(calculate(sum('Order Lines'[Pallet Count]),datesbetween(Dates[Date],Today()-1,Today()-29)),4)

And then add to it another measure like this for the second part (Can I combine these in 1 measure?)

divide(calculate(sum('Order Lines'[Pallet Count]),datesbetween(Dates[Date],'Dates'[Week Comencing]-372,'Dates'[Week Commencing]-351))),3)

The DATESBETWEEN function doesn't seem to want to take my week commencing values though?

Help very gladly received!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sujit_Thakur
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Dear @Chaucer ,
You can use following measures , just instead of years you can use week as you want to forecast sales for 3 weeks ahead Calculating SalesCalculating Sales
using DAX to give a Forecast by average for next yearusing DAX to give a Forecast by average for next year
Image has DAX for last 3 years and forecast for next year ,you can use it for week also 
if image is not clear 
VAR sales_last_year = Calculate([Total Sales],DATEADD(Date[Date] , -1 ,Year)) 
Such more 2 measures for calculating Sales for 3 years then 
use
return 
Divide all three variable (lastyear,2years back,3 years back) by 3 you will get forecast for next year 
remeber you need to replace years by week 

For more info you can check video which will help you a lot 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3VOERJw7s

I would expect a kudos .
and if this helped getting close to your solution accept it as a solution

if any further help required please let me know , i think you can nail this problem with my recommended youtube video.

Regards ,

Sujit Thakur 

View solution in original post

Chaucer
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks all for your help.

Using a combination of the links you guys added I knocked this up which works a treat. If i could select all as solution I would!

Forecast Pallets =
VAR
PalletsLY = Calculate([Total Pallets],DATEADD( Dates[date],-1,year))
VAR
Pallets2Y = Calculate([Total Pallets],DATEADD( Dates[date],-2,year))
VAR
Prior3WeeksPallets = calculate ([Total Pallets],datesbetween(Dates[Date],Today()-22,Today()-1))

Return
Divide(PalletsLY + Pallets2Y + Prior3WeeksPallets,5,0)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Chaucer
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks all for your help.

Using a combination of the links you guys added I knocked this up which works a treat. If i could select all as solution I would!

Forecast Pallets =
VAR
PalletsLY = Calculate([Total Pallets],DATEADD( Dates[date],-1,year))
VAR
Pallets2Y = Calculate([Total Pallets],DATEADD( Dates[date],-2,year))
VAR
Prior3WeeksPallets = calculate ([Total Pallets],datesbetween(Dates[Date],Today()-22,Today()-1))

Return
Divide(PalletsLY + Pallets2Y + Prior3WeeksPallets,5,0)

Dear @Chaucer 

You can select multiple post as solution 

And i hope you will do that justice .

Regards 

Sujit Thakur

Sujit_Thakur
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Dear @Chaucer ,
You can use following measures , just instead of years you can use week as you want to forecast sales for 3 weeks ahead Calculating SalesCalculating Sales
using DAX to give a Forecast by average for next yearusing DAX to give a Forecast by average for next year
Image has DAX for last 3 years and forecast for next year ,you can use it for week also 
if image is not clear 
VAR sales_last_year = Calculate([Total Sales],DATEADD(Date[Date] , -1 ,Year)) 
Such more 2 measures for calculating Sales for 3 years then 
use
return 
Divide all three variable (lastyear,2years back,3 years back) by 3 you will get forecast for next year 
remeber you need to replace years by week 

For more info you can check video which will help you a lot 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq3VOERJw7s

I would expect a kudos .
and if this helped getting close to your solution accept it as a solution

if any further help required please let me know , i think you can nail this problem with my recommended youtube video.

Regards ,

Sujit Thakur 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Chaucer , refer these two

https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-wtd-questions-time-intelligence-4-5-98c30fab69d3
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Week-Is-Not-So-Weak-WTD-Last-WTD-and-This-Week-vs-La...

Using Week Rank

Last 3 week Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Net Sales]),FILTER(all('Date'),'Date'[Week Rank]>=min('Date'[Week Rank])-3 && 'Date'[Week Rank]<=max('Date'[Week Rank])))

Last 3 week Avg Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Net Sales]),FILTER(all('Date'),'Date'[Week Rank]>=min('Date'[Week Rank])-3 && 'Date'[Week Rank]<=max('Date'[Week Rank])))/3

Ajinkya369
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Chaucer ,

Go through this video to solve your problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=118&v=tztrdW7qTEU&feature=emb_logo

If your problem is solved then accept this as solution

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.