Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

a_rp
Frequent Visitor

Forecast to Forecast Comparison and Forecast to Actuals comparison

Dear All, I want to create a comparison showing Variance between different versions of Forecast (new version gets released every month) and Forecast Vs Actuals. I have created sample tables showing sample data and also the way I want the comparisons (output report). Appreciate your help & guidance. 

Note: If you show me the logic for getting one of the output columns, I will try to extend that too all remaining columns required in the output table/report.

Thanks & Regards,

a_rp_0-1642244194484.pnga_rp_1-1642244235100.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @a_rp.  This shouldn't be difficult to do, if you change your tables.  You have a column for each month.  If you change the structure so that they are like this:

• Forecast/Actual (values would be Actual, Forecast 1, Forecast 2, etc.)
  • Portfolio
  • Project
  • Financial (Revenue, Cost, Profit)
  • Gurantee
  • Month Ending (use date values!)
  • Amount

The formulas would be simple...this would be the formula for Actual

CALCULATE(
	SUM([Amount]),
	[Forecast/Actual] = "Actual"
)

Modify as appropriate for each of your other forecast measures.

And make sure you add a date table (and mark it appropriately) and create a relationship between the date table and Month Ending.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

That's easy...use the TOTALQTD function.  Time intelligence functions (such as this one) require a date table (mentioned previously).  Make sure you use the date frield from the date table in the function.

Hi @a_rp.  What you want to do is create a series of additional fields to accommodate fiscal calendar.

Here's something I use (and actually updated this morning).  There's a bunch of fields that begin with "Calendar...".  Those are based on the actual calendar.  The fields that begin with "Reporting..." are effectively the fiscal calendar.  Check the values to make sure it aligns with your calendar.

If you agree that I answered your original question, please mark it as a solution so others might be able to benefit from it.  And let me know if I can help further!

8 REPLIES 8
a_rp
Frequent Visitor

Thank you 🙂 Can you plz share how to calculate Q1, Q2, etc. shown in my output table? (one example will be helpful).

That's easy...use the TOTALQTD function.  Time intelligence functions (such as this one) require a date table (mentioned previously).  Make sure you use the date frield from the date table in the function.

Hi @a_rp ...how'd this work?

Hi @littlemojopuppy the solution is working perfectly. Many thanks for the same. I need help on Date Table.....as my Fiscal Year is not the same as a calendar year, I want to redefine quarters in the Quarter column but it's not working. Can you plz help?

Hi @a_rp.  What you want to do is create a series of additional fields to accommodate fiscal calendar.

Here's something I use (and actually updated this morning).  There's a bunch of fields that begin with "Calendar...".  Those are based on the actual calendar.  The fields that begin with "Reporting..." are effectively the fiscal calendar.  Check the values to make sure it aligns with your calendar.

If you agree that I answered your original question, please mark it as a solution so others might be able to benefit from it.  And let me know if I can help further!

Hi @littlemojopuppy Apologies for the late response. I couldn't implement/respond earlier for personal matters. I really appreciate your help. Your replies helped me greatly. Thanks again.

@a_rp de nada!  Glad I could help!

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @a_rp.  This shouldn't be difficult to do, if you change your tables.  You have a column for each month.  If you change the structure so that they are like this:

• Forecast/Actual (values would be Actual, Forecast 1, Forecast 2, etc.)
  • Portfolio
  • Project
  • Financial (Revenue, Cost, Profit)
  • Gurantee
  • Month Ending (use date values!)
  • Amount

The formulas would be simple...this would be the formula for Actual

CALCULATE(
	SUM([Amount]),
	[Forecast/Actual] = "Actual"
)

Modify as appropriate for each of your other forecast measures.

And make sure you add a date table (and mark it appropriately) and create a relationship between the date table and Month Ending.

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.