Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pingeldoos

Forced to use columns instead of VAR - help me reduce size

Hi great helper,

I work at a telco and we have build a price scraper that gives us prices from all competitors. To make the prices of competitors comparable to ours we are interpolating prices (e.g if we have a bundle of 10GB and the competitor 5Gb and 15GB we use the 'average price of the 5GB and 15GB from the competitor to calculate their price on the 10GB. 

Good news is, I managed to apply the interpolation formula automatically in 9 steps by using 9 columns. I try to stick to the best practise of not using unnecesary colums and created a longer dax formula where each of the columns except the last one is replaced by declined variables (VAR).

I found out that I can replace all COLUMNS by VAR except for step S3. When I replace step S3 columns by an S3 VAR, then S5 does not work anymore. I think this has to do with the calculate function showing a different behaviour when using a var instead of column. 

Below the code. I left out some steps to make it a bit shorter and hopefully easier. Thanks a lot for your help!

s9_interpol =

VAR GB = 10

VAR
S1_Rnk_rowGB =
RANKx
(CALCULATETABLE(Prices,ALLEXCEPT(Prices,Prices[channel],Prices[provider],Prices[handset],Prices[contractduration],Prices[voice],Prices[Date]))
,Prices[GB values],
,ASC
,Dense)

VAR
S2_Rnk = rankx(CALCULATETABLE(Prices,ALLEXCEPT(Prices,Prices[channel],Prices[provider],Prices[handset],Prices[contractduration],Prices[voice],Prices[Date]))
,Prices[GB values]
,GB
,ASC
,Dense)

VAR
S3_Smaller =
if(or(Prices[GB values]=GB,S1_Rnk_rowGB+1=S2_Rnk),Prices[GB values],0)

VAR
S5_smaller_expand =
maxX(
CALCULATETABLE (
Prices,
ALLEXCEPT ( Prices, Prices[channel],Prices[provider],Prices[handset],Prices[contractduration],Prices[is4g],Prices[voice],Prices[Date] ))
,Prices[S3_smaller]
)

Return

S5_smaller expand

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Pingeldoos,

I don't recommend you to use ranking function to progress your scenario, it should be complex and low accurate.(rankx function allow duplicate records and skip rank number)

Maybe you can refer to below logic:

1. Get current item index and stored in variable.(you need a table store item and sort by product size)

2. Use this index to find out nearest indexes and stored in variables.(previous= max index from list who less than current; next= min index from list who greater than current index)

3. Use index to find out related price and calculate their average.

I think these should more simple than original formula.

If you still confused for coding formula, can you please share some sample data for help us clarify your table structure and test to coding formula?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Pingeldoos,

I don't recommend you to use ranking function to progress your scenario, it should be complex and low accurate.(rankx function allow duplicate records and skip rank number)

Maybe you can refer to below logic:

1. Get current item index and stored in variable.(you need a table store item and sort by product size)

2. Use this index to find out nearest indexes and stored in variables.(previous= max index from list who less than current; next= min index from list who greater than current index)

3. Use index to find out related price and calculate their average.

I think these should more simple than original formula.

If you still confused for coding formula, can you please share some sample data for help us clarify your table structure and test to coding formula?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.