Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dlenz

Force Secondary Axis Not Possible?

Hello,

I'm working in PowerBI in the hopes of replacing tableau.  We often use dual-axis charts to show $ and % side by side.  I think I've found an issue with Power BI.  If possible, I'd like to know if I can get confirmation or if I'm not doing something correctly.

I started with this tutorial: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-customize-x-axis-and-y-ax...

In my scenario, I have "Wait Time" and "Abandon Rate".  The wait time is typically less than 5 minutes for a phone call.  The Abandon Rate is a % (a number less than 1).

Expected Behavior:  I expect that if I'm using a "line and stacked" column chart, that I will always be given a secondary axis for the line chart as long as I turn the secondary axis.

Actual Behavior:  It appears that PowerBI tries to outsmart me.  It looks like PowerBI won't even present me this option unless my two values are a factor (unknown) different than each other.  I can verify this by toggling my wait time between average and sum wait time.

- When I use average, PowerBI forces me to use the same axis even with line and stacked column chart.

Change to avg.png

No more dual axis when smaller numbers.png

line stacked col chart.png

- When I sum, the numbers are so far apart, that powerbi decides to let me use a secondary axis (I actually can't find the secondary axis toggle, but it works as I would expect with a secondary axis).

dual axis when sum.png

No secondary toggle when sum.png

How can I force PowerBI to give me a secondary axis?  I'd appreciate anyone's feedback.

Thank you,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dlenz,

Please drag most inside scroll bar down and you will see Show secondary property, turn it on.

q1.png

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dlenz,

Please drag most inside scroll bar down and you will see Show secondary property, turn it on.

q1.png

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That's it.  I guess I have to get used to this new black modern design.  The scrollbars blend right into the border between visualizations and fields.  Thank you for the prompt reply!

Dan

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors