Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

For what reason would CLOSINGMONTHBALANCE be 0?

I have the following measure (CLOSINGBALANCEMONTH(sum('Patient Numbers'[ClosingBalance]),'Patient Numbers'[MonthCode]))

but its showing 0, any idea why it wouldn't be returning values?  i definitely do have datea, for example if i just did a sum on the column data is returned, wondering what i need to check?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there thank you, i found the issue i was being daft, my date filter in my slicer went later than when i had data.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
himanshu56
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @vanessafvg

The syntax is using CLOSINGBALANCEMONTH(<expression>,<dates>[,<filter>])

where the dates argument can be any of the following:

• A reference to a date/time column.

• A table expression that returns a single column of date/time values.

• A Boolean expression that defines a single-column table of date/time values.

Make sure 'Patient Numbers'[MonthCode] follows any one of the above date argument.

Thanks,

Himanshu

hi @himanshu56

thanks for responding,  monthcode is a date column, so that woudn't be the issue i think?  month date looks like this

01/09/2016

and in the  data model it is seen as a date datatype

Hi @vanessafvg,

Could you post your table structure with some sample data which can reproduce this issue, so that we can help further investigate on it? It's better to share a sample pbix file. You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi there thank you, i found the issue i was being daft, my date filter in my slicer went later than when i had data.

Hi @vanessafvg,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your reply above as solution to close this thread? Smiley Happy

Regards

then may be you need make some changes in the expression which you have used.

Below link might help you: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DAX-issue-opening-and-closing-balance-for-month-Error-in/td...

Thanks,

Himanshu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.