Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

myk83
Frequent Visitor

Focus behaviour in maps

This will probably be either really simple or impossible, but I'm learning as I go with PowerBI so any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm using a map visualisation for my data, mapping out values using postcodes to show the dots and some tables that show the detail of the data being mapped.  The data that I have is also grouped (or at least to me it is) by reference numbers, which may cover more than 1 postcode.  Currently, when I click on a postcode, it will focus the map on that dot, and only show the data for that dot in the table.

What I would like it to do is show the data for all of the groups that contain that location, as well as any other locations that the group contains, so it shows them on the map as well.  I've tried to include an image in case that helps:

Map Section.JPG

So in this picture, if I click on the right hand dot of the middle two (labelled "1"), it will focus on that dot and the table will only show the data for that dot.  But I would like it to also show the right hand dot (labelled "1 & 2") and have the table show me the data that is relevant to group 1.

I'm not sure I've explained this right, but hopefully there will be enough useful information for someone to either tell me it's not possible, or start me in the right direction!

Many thanks,

Mike

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@myk83

@myk83 wrote:

This will probably be either really simple or impossible, but I'm learning as I go with PowerBI so any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm using a map visualisation for my data, mapping out values using postcodes to show the dots and some tables that show the detail of the data being mapped.  The data that I have is also grouped (or at least to me it is) by reference numbers, which may cover more than 1 postcode.  Currently, when I click on a postcode, it will focus the map on that dot, and only show the data for that dot in the table.

What I would like it to do is show the data for all of the groups that contain that location, as well as any other locations that the group contains, so it shows them on the map as well.  I've tried to include an image in case that helps:

Map Section.JPG

So in this picture, if I click on the right hand dot of the middle two (labelled "1"), it will focus on that dot and the table will only show the data for that dot.  But I would like it to also show the right hand dot (labelled "1 & 2") and have the table show me the data that is relevant to group 1.

I'm not sure I've explained this right, but hopefully there will be enough useful information for someone to either tell me it's not possible, or start me in the right direction!

Many thanks,

Mike

When clicking in the map, actually it is filttered by PostCode in your case. I don't think there's a way in Power BI desktop to achieved the bold part. However, you could filter the group by clicking a slicer. Check a demo in the attached pbix, that's all what PBI can do AFAIK. I don't know how you define a group, in whatever cases proper relationship should be created.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.