Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Flush the cash DAX uses? Changing case of text not flowing through

Does anyone know how to force the cache that stores data for DAX to flush and use what is coming from the Query engine?

We had most of our items in all caps and to make reports more readable, we've changed them in our ERP system. As you can see on the right side of this picture, the case is correct. "3 Tier Spice Rack." However, when it flows through to the PowerPivot/DAX engine of Power BI Desktop, it retains the ALLCAPS text in the visuals, on the left. 

DAXvsPQ.png

A few notes:

1. The source data is in SQL Server 2008.
  2. If I add an "x" to the end of the item description, it works, and forces the change. But when I remove the "x" it reverts to allcaps in the PowerBI visual even though it is proper case on the SQL Server and in Power Query.
  3. In a test environment, I even caused the item master to not load, did a refresh, then reload. Didn't fix it. Which is ok as that "fix" would require rebuidling visuals, relationships, and measures.
  4. New reports use the proper case. This is only affecting reports written before we changed the source data, but of course if someone sets something up in all caps and it gets into a report, change the case often doesn't fix it.

This is not a new issue. Has been going on for a few months - the few months since we changed case, so this has been through the Sept 2017 - Jan 2018 PBI Desktop app as well as the 4-5 Gateways for on-prem data. 

Any ideas?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @edhans,

I am still a little confusing. What operation in Query Editor which lead to change the case of text? It will display the same with text in Data area. Please click "Date" button(highlighted in red line) and view what the data look like?

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

There is no query operation going on to change the case of the text.

• The text on the SQL Server a few months ago was "3 TIER SPICE RACK." That was changed about 3 months ago to, but after this Power BI report was written.
  • The text on the SQL Server today is: "3 Tier Spice Rack"
  • The text coming through to the Power Query window is: "3 Tier Spice Rack"
  • The text coming through to the table view is "3 TIER SPICE RACK" - I don't know why. This has been cached somewhere in the DAX data model.

If I write a new report with a fresh PBIX file, it works fine.

It is like the DAX engine is caching data and it is using a checksum of the characters in the field, but it isn't case sensitive, so it isn't working right.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.