Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DouweMeer
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Floating point error when importing data

So I do understand where a floating point error comes from and stuff. But I can't fix it. The problem exist as we are using the American numbers with the '.' as a decimal. Some of our product code are written as ###.### (Where # is a number between 0 and 9). When I import them to Power BI, some are imported with the correct format, other will get something like ###.###00000000000#. 

These article codes are set to number as soon as they reach the 'navigation' step. Then it is already too late.I tried several ways to get around this. I changed my formal cells in the source file, which is Excel, and change that to text. Didn't work. I disabled the check box that Power BI give an estimate on the data type of a field. Didn't worked either. Tried to change the data type to text via Power Query in the hope they would change back, still nothing. 

Some have .###, other have .#, .## or other combination, so by default correcting .### gets tricky. Also, some are .#0...0#, other are #9...9#. I was hoping someone might know a solution for this problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-cherch-msft 

Someone at the office found the answer for my problem. Apparently to highlight the Excel cell with format 'text' is not sufficient enough to set it as text. You first have to trim it. Then this green triangle appears in the corner. When you import that data, it will remove it. 

Perhaps this will also solve similar issues for others. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DouweMeer 

It seems you may check the 'locale for import'.Here are the articles about it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/supported-languages-countries-regions#choose-the-language-...

https://www.qumio.com/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=50

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-cherch-msft , some product codes that are like numbers, will be imported correctly. To my opinion, it has nothing to do with the decimal to be a ',' or a '.'. Main reason besides why I can't change this, is that the company works with the '.' decimal for numbers as well.

Got any other suggestions?

Hi @DouweMeer 

I cannot reproduce the same issue.Could you provide the .pbix file and the data for us to test or show some screenshots about your issue?You can upload the .pbix file to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-cherch-msft 

This is a selection of the items available. Further on in the same file there are related list prices with as decimal seperator the '.'. 

Power BIPower BIExcel with text formatExcel with text formatThese are numbers in the Excel source fileThese are numbers in the Excel source file

Hi @DouweMeer 

There're two ways for you to try.

First: Change the value format to text in query editor.

1.png

Second: Use Decimal Number format and set the number as 3.

1.png

If possible,please share a test .pbix file for us to check or submit a support ticket.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Regards

@v-cherch-msft 

I guess that will become a support ticket then :). 

The problem I see is that when I try to change the detect type, it will inserted as a new step. This new step can only placed after the navigation step. On that point, it is already too late. Besides, there are also article codes with .####. These will be changed to .### by your suggestion. Something I don't want to happen either :). 

@v-cherch-msft 

Someone at the office found the answer for my problem. Apparently to highlight the Excel cell with format 'text' is not sufficient enough to set it as text. You first have to trim it. Then this green triangle appears in the corner. When you import that data, it will remove it. 

Perhaps this will also solve similar issues for others. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.