Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maracles
Resolver II
Resolver II

Flexible line chart x-axis

What I am trying to do is provide a supervisor with one chart that compares Revenue YTD. Two lines should be plottedl 2015 and 2016.

I have the measures and I can plot this chart without issue. My challenge is making the x-axis behave as requested

By default the x axis should be listed based on days however they would like to have two sets of filters available to him; Months and Quarters

Therefore:

Years

When a year is selected the x-axis would show months but the lines would be plotted based on days. 

I can get this to work as a standalone chart. 

Quarters

When a quarter is selected the x-axis narrows to that selected 90 day period but the label on the x-axis shows Months (even though it is calcualted on days). 

I can get this to work fine as an individual chart. 

Correction. I cannot actually get this to work, it was working only when I used a single year and had date as the x-axis. Power BI automatically converted the dates to months to make the chart more readable however I cannot use a 'date' column as it create a continuous line rather than two lines on-top of each other. 

Months

If a month is selected it narrows to those 28-31 days selected. The x-axis woudl then show labels for individual dates. 

Again, I can build this chart as stand-alone chart. My question is whether it is possible to build a single flexible chart where the axis switches based on the filter so that it meets both requested behaviours. 

The alternative is obviously to have multiple charts but curious as to whether the above can be achieved. 

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@maracles - Can you drag your Year, Month and Day columns into a hierarchy in the X-Axis and use drilldown? Well, I guess that won't work on a line chart, you'd have to go with Column chart. OK, correction, you could possibly use the combined column/line chart and just not have a value for Column, only for Line.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I was hoping for something like this which is how I would do it in Excel, howeve Power BI doesn't appear to allow that functionality. I can only add one dimension to the x-axis, I cannot layer them.

If I allow PowerBI to implement its own heirachy which is what happens when you try to use the 'date' dimension it simply makes a continuous line.  

Everything works if I use Day of Year, but this just isn't friendly enough to interpret apparently. I'm looking for an alternative. 

@maracles - Try the combined Column and Line chart, that allows you to have your own hierarchy and it works for a line graphic, just don't put anything in your Column area.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@maracles @Greg_Deckler  Even if this is the expertise of @SqlJason and probably have a better solution this is what I came up. 

@maracles You are right on needing two charts the one over the other. When you select a single month the days chart will show and if there are multiple ( meaning no filter or more selected than one ) the other visual with show up.

Let's start.

Assumimng you are using a calendar/date table as dimension.

Assuming that the measure you display called [Sales]

Create one  line chart and add months ( I use MonthInCalendar column i.e "Jan 2015" ) in axis..

Create second line chart and add days ( I use Datekey column ) in axis.. ( or copy the first one so you have the same formating & size )

Remove titles.

In the first chart ( months ) add the following measure 

Axis Months =

VAR AllMonths =
CALCULATE (
DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Calendar'[MonthInCalendar] );
ALLSELECTED ( 'Calendar' )
)

VAR Months =
DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Calendar'[MonthInCalendar] )

RETURN
IF ( Months <> AllMonths; [Sales] )

Variable Months  always return 1 since the current filter context is one month due to months in axis. 

Variable Allmonths returns the number of months in calendar table ignoring the current filter context months in axis ) BUT not any other filter we select outside the graph..( not preciesly - from more details check ALLSELCTED() http://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-allselected/

Result if we don't select one month in a slicer or other chart our line will be visible...If we select one then the chart shows nothing...Cool

Now in the second chart (days ) add the following 

Axis Days=

VAR AllMonths =
CALCULATE (
DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Calendar'[MonthInCalendar] );
ALLSELECTED ( 'Calendar' )
)

VAR Months =
DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Calendar'[MonthInCalendar] )

RETURN
IF ( Months = AllMonths; [Sales] )

The same as the previous but know the line is visible only if we have a month selected in slicer or other chart. (due to the Moths = Allmonths)

Now put one into other so it looks like one. Depending what you select in months one of them will be visible ,mimic the change in axis. 

(red months in axis - green days in axis )

1.png2.png3.png

Plus :  You can change color in one graph or other attributes the change in axis is more visible

Minus: when you hoove over with the mouse tooltip only appears for the chart the Z-Score in the front and when this is blank hoovering over blurs the chart.

Hope this can work for you..

P.S. I did enjoy trying to fing the workaround

Konstantinos Ioannou

Thanks Konstantinos for taking the time to look into this. I was actually hoping to have both years plotted on a single chart rather than one split, I am however going to explore your suggestions as it may be another way of achieveing what we are looking for. Before I can try out your method I am actualy having a different line chart related issue that I am about to post about. Will update this post once I have tested it though. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.