Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeroenwmwillems
Advocate I
Advocate I

Flag double events in a data set, based on timing

Capture.PNG

Hi PowerBI wizards,

I was hoping you all could help me with the following problem:

I have a data set that consists of a very large amount of events of which I have a date and time stamp and a User ID code.

Sometimes it happens that a user creates multiple events. If this happens within 30 min from each other, this is a double up and I should flag this. Is there a formula I could use, which effectively checks my list for rows that have the same user ID AND where the Date & Time is only 30 min apart from each other? 

For example, the 2 rows have the same UserID and the date and time for the both rows are 12/03/2019 8:26:14 AM and 12/03/2019 8:46:14 AM. This is only 20 min apart, so the both rows are flagged by the formula.

See a screenshot of the rows and columns above.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

Jeroen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Well, this one was fun! I've created a table to mimic your situation. Note that in this case and per your requirement, only row 5 should be marked.

Table3  - Note row 5 (ID=A)Table3 - Note row 5 (ID=A)

I've added a calculated column with the following expression:

HasValueLessThan30MinutsAgo = 
VAR user = Table3[UserID]
VAR currentTimeStamp = Table3[TimeStamp]
RETURN
COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(Table3), Table3[UserID] = user && Table3[TimeStamp] > (currentTimeStamp - ((1/2) *(1/24))) && Table3[TimeStamp] < currentTimeStamp))

This counts the rows on a filtered version of the whole table, where timestamp is between currentTimestamp en currentTimestamp minus 30 minutes and where the userID is the current UserID. This results in the following:

image.png

That should work. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Well, this one was fun! I've created a table to mimic your situation. Note that in this case and per your requirement, only row 5 should be marked.

Table3  - Note row 5 (ID=A)Table3 - Note row 5 (ID=A)

I've added a calculated column with the following expression:

HasValueLessThan30MinutsAgo = 
VAR user = Table3[UserID]
VAR currentTimeStamp = Table3[TimeStamp]
RETURN
COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(Table3), Table3[UserID] = user && Table3[TimeStamp] > (currentTimeStamp - ((1/2) *(1/24))) && Table3[TimeStamp] < currentTimeStamp))

This counts the rows on a filtered version of the whole table, where timestamp is between currentTimestamp en currentTimestamp minus 30 minutes and where the userID is the current UserID. This results in the following:

image.png

That should work. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

A true wizard indeed, thanks Djerro! 

I'm not even going to try to understand the full formula, but the results prove it works in my data set. 

Much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.