Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

P0W3RB1
Helper I
Helper I

Fiscal Years in a Bar Chart

I Have a bar chart, and a timline from the custom visuals where you can set a fiscal year which is great, but lets say a fiscal year is july to july, i can select that fiscal year on the timeline but the chart still shows Jan, Feb, March etc rather than July > to july ?

How to change that?

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@P0W3RB1

In this scenario, you can create one column to show the “Month Year” (Type Text) which sorted by another created column “Year Month” (Type Whole Number). Please refer to following steps.

1. Create a column to format the full date.
    Month_Year =
    FORMAT ( Table1[Date], "MMM YYYY" )

2. Create a column to convert the year and month to a whole number.
    Year_Month =
    YEAR ( Table1[Date] ) * 100
    + MONTH ( Table1[Date] )

111.png
  3. Select column of “Month_Year” and then click ‘Sort By Column of Year_Month’.
    333.jpg
  4. Drag a Timeline (select Date for Time) and a Stacked bar chart (select Month_Year for Axis) as below.
    222.png

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft i think this may have worked! im just checking all the figures add up but its looking good thank you! i will mark as resolved when i know for sure.

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

@P0W3RB1

Check following.

1. Do you have a calendar or date table.

2. Create columns for MonthName = FORMAT([FullDate], "MMM"), Fiscal Year, FiscalMonthNumber

3. FiscalYear can be based on formula like If (Month([FullDate]) >= 7, Year([FullDate]), Year([FullDate]) - 1)

4. Similarly FiscalMonthNumber can be based on a formula If (Month([FullDate]) >= 7, Month([FullDate]) -6 , Month([FullDate]) +6 ). This will generate the month numbers as 1 for July and 12 for June.

5. For the MonthName set the sort by column ass FiscalMonthNumber.

6. When you place MonthName in the bar chart it will always show Starting with July.

If it works please accept this as a solution and also give kudos.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try this:

http://powerpivotfaq.com/Lists/TGPPF/DispForm.aspx?ID=125

Here is the longer version:

http://www.powerpivotblog.nl/using-time-intelligent-powerpivot-functions-with-fiscal-year/

This should solve your problem.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.