Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Adman
Regular Visitor

Fiscal Year to Date

Calander.PNG

% Var.PNG

Hi Guys  -

I'm new to Power Bi - have tried to investigate a solve but now spiing wheels!

I'm trying ot calculate the % Variance for a data item called an NWAU.

We have a fiscal year ending 30 June.

Formulas I have at the moment

NEW COLUMN -  CalYear = FORMAT([episode_end_date],("yyyy"))   - Not Cal Year is in text format ( is this the issues?)

and "episode_end_date" is in the raw data and is in data format

NWAU Final - is from the raw data

Measure: NWAU YTD = TOTALYTD ( SUM ('HIE Data'[nwau_final]), 'datekey'[Date], "06/30" )

Measure: NWAU PY_YTD = CALCULATE ('HIE Data'[NWAU YTD], DATEADD ('datekey'[Date], - 1, YEAR  ) )

New Table:  Calander = CALENDAR(MIN('HIE Data'[episode_end_date]),MAX('HIE Data'[episode_end_date]))

I was expecting that for 2017 the NWAU PY_YTD  (PY = Prior Year) the amount would be 40,864 instead of 13,832 - hence for some reason its not recognising the prior year.

Once NWAU PY_YTD  is calculating correctly the intended approach is

NWAY YTD % VAR = (NWAU YTD - NWAU PY_YTD)/ NWAU PY_YTD

And then to apply the Fiscal Year which has been determined as follows

NEW COLUMN -  CalYear = FORMAT([episode_end_date],("yyyy"))

NEW COLUMN: CalMonth = FORMAT([episode_end_date],"mm")

NEW COLUMN: FinYear-CurrentYY = CONCATENATE("FY",IF(([CalMonth])<"07",VALUE(FORMAT([CalYear],"YY")),VALUE(FORMAT([CalYear],"YY"))+1))

NEW COLUMN:  FinYear = IF(([CalMonth])<"07",VALUE(FORMAT([CalYear],"YYYY")),VALUE(FORMAT([CalYear],"YYYY"))+1)

thanks Adam

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Adman

It's strange that your nwau_final shows same reuslt as YTD. YTD is already a cumulative calculation, when evaluated on Year level, it should return the result on the last day of Year.

55.PNG

I don't find big issue on both measures, just add ALL() in your YTD measure. It should return correct result.

66.PNG

88.PNG

Regards,

Hi Simon

Many thanks for your reply

Have updated formulas to reflect your ones so  - changes made in red

NWAU PY_YTD = CALCULATE ('HIE Data'[NWAU YTD], DATEADD ('datekey'[Date], - 1, YEAR  ) )

NWAU YTD = TOTALYTD ( SUM ('HIE Data'[nwau_final]),'datekey'[Date],ALL('datekey'[Date]), "06/30" )

there is no change to the prior year numbers..

thanks Adam

the "NWAU_final" may = YTD as it uses  calmonth to and calyear to derive the fiscial year  - it doesnt refer to the caldaner table! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.