Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gigchocolaty

Fiscal Year Calculation

I just started playing Power Bi around for a week and I've been struggled with calculating fiscal year and quarter. Hopefully you guys could share your techniques.

I have two tables (one for FY 14 and another for FY15). The fiscal year begins July 1 and ends June 30. My first column is year and the second column is month (starting July 2013 to June 2014 for FY14). I don't have date in my dataset because I only focus on monthly data collection. I am hoping to be able to filter graph by quarter and fiscal year. 

In addition to that issue, I have questions regarding data modeling.

1) Would I be able to filter data by fiscal year if I have two separate dataset?

2) Would it be better to create a new table for fiscal year and link to another dataset? I still don't know how to create the relationship. 

Thanks you for all your help!

Tana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gigchocolaty,

From your description, there are two tables (FY14 and FY15), and you want to calculate fiscal year and quarter, then filter based on the fiscal year and quarter, right?

In your scenario, I would suggest you append the table FY14 with table FY15 in query Editor use Append Queries as New feature. Then create two calculated columns like below:

Fiscal Year = 
  CONCATENATE("FY",
                IF('Append1'[Month] <=6,
                       RIGHT('Append1'[Year],2),
                       VALUE(RIGHT('Append1'[Year],2)) +1
                     )
                                )

FiscalQuarterNumber = IF('Append1'[Month]<4,3,IF('Append1'[Month]<7,4,IF('Append1'[Month]<10,1,2)))                                                 

Then place the Fiscal Year and FiscalQuarterNumber into slicers to filter data. You can take a look at attached .pbix file.

1) Would I be able to filter data by fiscal year if I have two separate dataset?

As each table have specific fiscal year, if we doen't combine those two tables, we can't get a table to list all fiscal years for those two tables. I think the above way is more proper for you.

2) Would it be better to create a new table for fiscal year and link to another dataset? I still don't know how to create the relationship. 

I think the above way have answered this question. Regarding create relationships in Power BI, you an take a look at this article: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gigchocolaty,

From your description, there are two tables (FY14 and FY15), and you want to calculate fiscal year and quarter, then filter based on the fiscal year and quarter, right?

In your scenario, I would suggest you append the table FY14 with table FY15 in query Editor use Append Queries as New feature. Then create two calculated columns like below:

Fiscal Year = 
  CONCATENATE("FY",
                IF('Append1'[Month] <=6,
                       RIGHT('Append1'[Year],2),
                       VALUE(RIGHT('Append1'[Year],2)) +1
                     )
                                )

FiscalQuarterNumber = IF('Append1'[Month]<4,3,IF('Append1'[Month]<7,4,IF('Append1'[Month]<10,1,2)))                                                 

Then place the Fiscal Year and FiscalQuarterNumber into slicers to filter data. You can take a look at attached .pbix file.

As each table have specific fiscal year, if we doen't combine those two tables, we can't get a table to list all fiscal years for those two tables. I think the above way is more proper for you.

I think the above way have answered this question. Regarding create relationships in Power BI, you an take a look at this article: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
gigchocolaty

I just started playing Power Bi around for a week and I've been struggled with calculating fiscal year and quarter. Hopefully you guys could share your techniques.

I have two tables (one for FY 14 and another for FY15). The fiscal year begins July 1 and ends June 30. My first column is year and the second column is month (starting July 2013 to June 2014 for FY14). I don't have date in my dataset because I only focus on monthly data collection. I am hoping to be able to filter graph by quarter and fiscal year. 

In addition to that issue, I have questions regarding data modeling.

Thanks you for all your help!

Tana

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.