Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fiscal Month different each month

Hi

I would like to know if anybody has a solution whereby I can calculate time intelligence (year to date, year on year etc) where my fiscal month is different each month.

and for example, can I use my calendar table (see below) to specify the fiscal (reporting) rate start and end in a DAX measure to pull the relevant data for that date range I am seeking? 

Screenshot_1.png

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Just to clarify my problem. I am struggling to do time-intelligence using my data set because eac fiscal month has different cut off dates. See DIM_Accountperiod - ReportingDateEnd. eg

nikilouwgmail_1-1617876407821.png

Also, I cant make my DIM_AccountingPeriod table a date table since I have two different systems I need to cater for (they can have different fiscal periods). EG

nikilouwgmail_2-1617876444736.png

Can somebody look at my sample PBIX files with my date/time/period related tables and advise how I could time-intelligence given the dimension table? Advice could include how to do DAX given the columns available or even how a date/time/period table(s) should look to do time intelligence.

pbix file

Here are the relevant relationships to the tables.

nikilouwgmail_0-1617874912409.png

@amitchandak 
@Greg_Deckler 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Not very clear. But based on date range you can update these month name in calendar table

example a new column in Calendar(Date) Table

Calendar Month = maxx(filter(Table, Date[Date] >= Table[Start Date] && Date[date] <= Table[Edn date]),Table[calendar Month name])

same way you can do for others

for time intelligence follow rank route , if needed

Power BI — Month on Month with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-mtd-questions-time-intelligence-3-5-64b0b4a4090e
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LUBbvcxtKA

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.