Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sadsmileyface
Regular Visitor

Finding the absolute maximum date in a column

I've tried a number of methods to do what I think is a very simple task but I'm not quite getting the result I expected. I have a column of data containing dates, and I just want to know for that range, what is the maximum date in the range? 

I thought that this would work, but it doesnt: Maxdate = CALCULATE(MAX('Availability'[Publishing Date].[Date]))

I expected that it would look at the entireitry of the column and return the absolute maximum date found in that column in each row. Instead, it just returns whatever is the date value of that row- so it's just two columns that are the same as each other. 

Is this perhaps not the correct thing to use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Omega
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If you are expecting to get the last data from a range of selected dates, then try the below measure/column: 

Last Date = MAX('Availability'[Publishing Date])

But, if you are expecting the last date to be always today's date, then try the below measure/column: 

Last Date = Today ()

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You probably want something like:

Maxdate = CALCULATE(MAX('Availability'[Publishing Date].[Date]),ALL('Availability'))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for that- I gave it a shot but it didnt return like I'd hoped.

It returns a date of 31st December 2018, when ideally (since today's date is the most recent occurance in the column) it should be returning a maximum of today's date, 5th December 2018.

Omega
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If you are expecting to get the last data from a range of selected dates, then try the below measure/column: 

Last Date = MAX('Availability'[Publishing Date])

But, if you are expecting the last date to be always today's date, then try the below measure/column: 

Last Date = Today ()

That's it! I used the first one and it worked absolutely perfectly! Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.