Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ConstMoss
Helper I
Helper I

Finding records after a certain date

Hello everyone - i have the following sample data and am trying to figure out how to create a flag (calculated column) to know if a given order was placed after the evaluation date has ended. any tips on how to do this would be appreciated..

For example -

1. the first row below would have the flag as yes because the customer placed the order after the eval date

2. the second row would have the **bleep** as no because this order is prior to eval date

3. the 3rd row would be no

4. the 4th row would be yes

CustomerProductEvalDateOrderDate
123ABC01/15/201702/01/2017
123ABC01/15/201701/14/2017
456CDE02/15/201702/01/2017
456CDE02/15/201702/16/2017

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ConstMoss,

You can firstly add an index column into your current table in Query Editor, then create calculated columns using the DAX below.

newEvalDate = IF(Table2[Customer]=LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Customer],Table2[Index],Table2[Index]-1) && Table2[Product]=LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Product],Table2[Index],Table2[Index]-1)&& ISBLANK(Table2[EvalDate]),LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[EvalDate],Table2[Index],Table2[Index]-1),Table2[EvalDate])

flag = IF(Table2[OrderDate]>Table2[newEvalDate],"Yes","No")

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
samk
Regular Visitor

I'd create two columns: 

1) A 'Custom Column':

col1=[OrderDate]-[EvalDate] 

This will give you the number of dates after the EvalDate that the order was placed. 

2) A 'Conditional Column': If col2=col1 > 0, then 'Yes'

This will flag the row as 'Yes' if the Order Date is greater than the eval date. 

The Query Editor will remember the steps you took, so you can delete col1 after if you want. 

I'm sure you could accomplish this in one custom column using DAX, but I dunno how...

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ConstMoss

When using the Calculated Column in DAX you could use the following:

Difference = DateDiff([OrderDate]-[EvalDate],Day)

That will then give you the difference in days.

Reference: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn802538.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

You could then create another Calculated Column which would check to see if the number is positive or negative, and then based on that could give you your Yes or No

Is Before Eval = IF(SIGN([Difference]) = -1, "Yes","No")

This will then return your data as required.
Reference: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634249.aspx

If you really wanted to, you could put it all into one column, as shown below. I advise people to rather do the columns in logical steps, makes it less complex as well as easier to troubleshoot if something is incorrect.

Is Before Eval = IF(SIGN(DateDiff([OrderDate]-[EvalDate],Day)) = -1, "Yes","No")

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

thanks @guavaq, one thing i forgot to mention is that i have rows in my table where there is no eval date, in which case i have to grab the eval date based on prior records for that customer and product combination.

For exaple, for the last row in my data below, i'll need to grab the en date from one of the previous recrods.

CustomerProductEvalDateOrderDate
123ABC01/15/201702/01/2017
123ABC01/15/201701/15/2017
456CDE02/15/201702/01/2017
456CDE02/15/201702/16/2017
456CDE 03/15/2017

Hi @ConstMoss

Just a question in terms of are you always wanting to look at this data on a row level, or aggregated it up?

The reason for the question is if it is being aggregated up, the DAX that is used could be different?

Also how difficult would it be to get the data added if blank from your Source system?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ - We won't be aggregating it, even if we did, we always look at details. the data in the source system is populated just for the row  where the eval date ends.

Hi @ConstMoss,

You can firstly add an index column into your current table in Query Editor, then create calculated columns using the DAX below.

newEvalDate = IF(Table2[Customer]=LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Customer],Table2[Index],Table2[Index]-1) && Table2[Product]=LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Product],Table2[Index],Table2[Index]-1)&& ISBLANK(Table2[EvalDate]),LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[EvalDate],Table2[Index],Table2[Index]-1),Table2[EvalDate])

flag = IF(Table2[OrderDate]>Table2[newEvalDate],"Yes","No")

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is there a way to count the number of orders that ocurred after the Eval date if the Eval date is in a different table?

Ex:

Order table 
CustomerProductOrderDate
123ABC2/1/2017
123ABC1/15/2017
456CDE2/1/2017
456CDE2/16/2017
456CDE3/15/2017

Customer table 
CustomerEvalDate 
1231/15/2017 
4562/15/2017 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.