Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jwieczerzak
Regular Visitor

Finding difference in hours between two dates.

I am using the folloiwng to create a column but the output seems to be incorrect (all zeros showing).  Any help would be appreciated...

Duration3 = DATEDIFF ( 'prod agenttask'[TaskStartTime].[Date], 'prod agenttask'[TaskEndTime].[Date], MINUTE )

I have also tried...

Duration3 = DATEDIFF ( 'prod agenttask'[TaskStartTime], 'prod agenttask'[TaskEndTime], MINUTE )

but I get the following. 

In DATEDIFF function, the start date cannot be greater than the end date

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Dude ,

Did u tried this one , 

Duration3 = if ( Isblank('prod agenttask'[TaskStartTime])=true() ||  Isblank('prod agenttask'[TaskEndTime])=true ||

'prod agenttask'[TaskStartTime] > 'prod agenttask'[TaskEndTime],

Blank(),

DATEDIFF ( 'prod agenttask'[TaskStartTime], 'prod agenttask'[TaskEndTime], MINUTE )

)

Am sure it will help u .

Note :

Check Both Date column Data Type.

If not solve your prob share your data i will help uuuuuu

View solution in original post

@jwieczerzak

This is the limitation of the DATEDIFF() function in DAX. An error is returned if start_date is larger than end_date. For more details, please see: DATEDIFF Function (DAX). So in your scenario, you have to apply condition (like IF statement) to make the end date larger than start date.

Regards,

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jwieczerzak
Regular Visitor

Yes.  It turns out that there are end dates that preceed start dates.  But why does Power BI fail on that?  Wouldn't if just produce a negative number?    

@jwieczerzak

This is the limitation of the DATEDIFF() function in DAX. An error is returned if start_date is larger than end_date. For more details, please see: DATEDIFF Function (DAX). So in your scenario, you have to apply condition (like IF statement) to make the end date larger than start date.

Regards,

Hi Dude ,

Did u tried this one , 

Duration3 = if ( Isblank('prod agenttask'[TaskStartTime])=true() ||  Isblank('prod agenttask'[TaskEndTime])=true ||

Blank(),

DATEDIFF ( 'prod agenttask'[TaskStartTime], 'prod agenttask'[TaskEndTime], MINUTE )

)

Am sure it will help u .

Note :

Check Both Date column Data Type.

If not solve your prob share your data i will help uuuuuu

Hi Baskar,

I was looking at your solution and I would like to use it for my visualization, but it returns only 00:00.

I want to add a new column in my data set that shows the hours it took to resolve a ticket from the beginning (Date) to end (Updated). Both columns date types are Date/Time, also the new column. There are no nulls or blanks and no dates in the Updated columns are smaller than Date column. What am I doing wrong?

test = if ( Isblank(WHD_Tickets[Date])=true() || Isblank(WHD_Tickets[Updated])=true ||

WHD_Tickets[Date] > WHD_Tickets[Updated],

Blank(),

DATEDIFF (WHD_Tickets[Date], WHD_Tickets[Updated], HOUR )

)
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If possible share some sample data i will have look on it @imy 

unfortunatley it doesn't return negative number if end date is earlier than start date, but you can add login in your if condition

if end date < start date then -(datediff(enddate, startdate, minute)) else datediff(start date, enddate, minute)

This will give you negative number when end date is earlier than start date and otherwise you will get positive number. Hope it is helpful.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool , 

the prob is first part of datediff is should be smaller then next date.

My assumptio your prob is u have some null value or some where start date is greater then end date.

Blank(),

)

Try this one it will help u i think so, 

If not let me know then i will help u sure 🙂

Cool

Thanks for the help.  There were nulls so I removed them.  However, I was unable to run your Query because I received an error about multiple isblank statements being invalid.  As a newbie to Power BI I am struggling with the oddities in the syntax...

tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi  @jwieczerzak,

Please check your data again to ensure there is no start date greater than end date. and could you try add time part to your date column?, there are rows with same dates could be the problem. if it's still not working, please share your sample data so I could proceed further analysis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.