Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finding a way to split the column

Hello everyone,

Morning!

I hope you guys are doing well.
Appreciate all your replies

I had a column in Power BI, where the data was not in the same format, and I am looking for splitting that column where it starts with year.

IDColumn
1PowerBI-Dax100-Microsoft-2018 (3 delimiters)
2PowerBI-Dax100-Microsoft-2018-2021 (4 delimiters)
3Power Automate-END100-2016 (2 delimiters)
4PowerBI-Automate-Dax100-End100- 2021-2021 (5 delimiter's)
I want to split that column where it starts with years.

Thank you everyone.

Looking forward for your responses.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You just need to add a custom column to your existing query and put this formula in the pop-up box.  Replace Exams with your actual column name.

Text.Combine(List.Select(List.LastN(Text.Split([Exams], "-"),2), each Text.Contains(_, "2")), "-")

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test, @mahoneypat 's method should work in your scenario.

Icey_1-1635152570693.png

In addition, you can also try this:

Icey_0-1635152093629.png

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

please show your expected results.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey hi, 
Thanks for following up

The result should look like

NumbersExamsYears
1DAX-100-PowerBI-2018-20212018-2021
220-DAX-200-PowerBI-20212021
3201-DAX-205-powerBI-2019-20202019-2020

Thanks 

Here's one way to do it in the query editor.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, open the Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXJxjNA1NDDQDcgvTy1y8tQ1MjC0ABJGIDkEO1YnWskILKIL0mCEogGqFqrMGKIRqs5UtwBhsCVIsQFEHsqOjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Numbers = _t, Exams = _t, Years = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Numbers", Int64.Type}, {"Exams", type text}, {"Years", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.Combine(List.Select(List.LastN(Text.Split([Exams], "-"),2), each Text.Contains(_, "2")), "-"), type text)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat, 

Morning! 

Thanks pat, it seems to be working - But, how can I change that code to my scenario 

could you please ellobrate it. (While I am trying to perform in the same way. 

Added custom column, 

(Paste the code you provided)

from "Table.AddColumn"  then it was creating a new table and while expanding I selected only the new column I required. 

But, few columns were working fine others are wrongly misplaced. 

Thanks pat, 

looking forward to hear from you. 

You just need to add a custom column to your existing query and put this formula in the pop-up box.  Replace Exams with your actual column name.

Text.Combine(List.Select(List.LastN(Text.Split([Exams], "-"),2), each Text.Contains(_, "2")), "-")

Pat

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.