Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Find out a version of a PBI file

Hi everybody, Is there a way to find out a version of a PBI desktop file without opening it? I was sent a PBI file over an email from a colleague that is no longer working for the company, and no matter which PBI version I install, I cannot open the file - I get the message that the PBI report is created with a newer version. Thanks for any suggestions Kristian
4 REPLIES 4
DanCostello
Regular Visitor

I know this is an old post but I'm leaving this here for people to find. You can use pbi-tools: https://pbi.tools/ Download and install, and then run pbi-tools extract "{path-to-your-pbix}" It will produce a directory structure with a metadata description of your pbix file. The "ReportSettings.json" file contains the version of PBI Desktop that was used to generate the file.

VictorR
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue here:

2019-09-06_8-01-46.png

The file was sent to me by someone within my company... Thing is, our software versions are controlled by our internal IT Team. So you cannot install an updated version without it being auto-installed within the organization for users that already have it installed, so I'm trying to identify what version this file is from compared to the version that I am on currently.

Were you able to find a solution @Anonymous ?

I work in a company with the same policy as VictorR, has anyone found a solution?

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Do you see something like this when you try to open the pbix?

2.png

I use desktop with version 2018/11 to open a pbix created with version 2018/12.

i meet this error window, then i click on the "close" button, after waiting for a while, finally this pbix can open.

i recommend you download the lastest version.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.