Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Theiren
Advocate I
Advocate I

Find and count similar rows within next ten days

Ok, I was not able to find a solution to my problem so let's try this way. I have actually two questions:

1. I have a dataset, where I have a few columns: ID, Company, Date and Amount. What I want to do is to compare the amount of the current row to the other rows and see, if the same amount (+/- 20%) within the next ten days within the same company can be found.

What I have done so far is this DAX - New Column:

CountRows = 
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet1),
FILTER(Sheet1, EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) = Sheet1[Amount] || (EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) <= Sheet1[Amount] * 1.2 && EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) > Sheet1[Amount] * 0.8)),
FILTER(Sheet1, EARLIER(Sheet1[Company]) = Sheet1[Company]),
FILTER(Sheet1, EARLIER(Sheet1[Date]) < DATEADD(Sheet1[Date], 10, DAY)))

I have 20 rows (20 days) in my test dataset, and this DAX works fine the first 9 days, after that I don't get the correct result (maybe it can't find the "DATEADD" -part from the dataset?)

Here is my result:

Testing.PNG

So my first question is, how do I get the result until the end of the list? Of course the result for the last row can't be anything else but one.

2. My second question is, how can I take a closer look on those with CountRows value more than 1? I know that I can create another table and use CountRows as a filter, but if I get a result of 3, how can I drill down to see only those three rows? Should I create some kind of a new ID number which would "put together" my similar rows? How can I do that or maybe there is a better idea? 

I am very thankful for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I forgot to reply myself once found the solution. But unfortunately the solution is too heavy with large datasets, so I am not able to use this with my real data. Anyway, here is the DAX:

CountRows = 

VAR PlusTen = DATEADD(Sheet1[Date].[Date],10,DAY)
VAR MinusTen = DATEADD(Sheet1[Date].[Date],-10,DAY)
VAR MaxDate = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
VAR MinDate = MIN(Sheet1[Date])
VAR LatestDate = IF(PlusTen > MaxDate, MaxDate, PlusTen)
VAR EarliestDate = IF(MinusTen < MinDate, MinDate, MinusTen)

RETURN
FILTER(Sheet1, EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) = Sheet1[Amount] || (EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) <= Sheet1[Amount] * 1.2 && EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) > Sheet1[Amount] * 0.8)),
FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Date] <= LatestDate && Sheet1[Date] >= EarliestDate))

And here is the result:

TestingFinal.PNG

Unfortunately I didn't find any solution to my problem number 2. I might open a new thread about that.

/Theiren

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Theiren ,

Question1.

CountRows = 
FILTER(Sheet1, EARLIER(Sheet1[Date].[Date]) < DATEADD(Sheet1[Date].[Date], 10, DAY)))

Question2.

You can add an extra column to group records based on the number of [CountRows]. Then, add this [group] column into a slicer.

Group = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet1[CountRows]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[CountRows]))

1.PNG2.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I did some testings with dates, and if I put it this way:

CountRowsTest = 

VAR PlusTen = DATEADD(Sheet1[Date].[Date];10;DAY)
VAR LatestDate = IF(PlusTen>MaxDate; MaxDate; PlusTen)

RETURN
LatestDate

I get the correct dates:

LatestDate.PNG

However, if I put this together with my original CountRows, it won't work. I also tried to change the last filter to [Date] instead of EARLIER[Date], and I was already sure I nailed it. But no. The last five rows are now taking into account the first five rows. Whyyyyy?

CountRowsTest = 

RETURN
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet1);
FILTER(Sheet1; EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) = Sheet1[Amount] || (EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) <= Sheet1[Amount] * 1,2 && EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) > Sheet1[Amount] * 0,8));
FILTER(Sheet1; EARLIER(Sheet1[Company]) = Sheet1[Company]);
FILTER(Sheet1; Sheet1[Date] <= LatestDate))

Testing2.PNG

/Theiren

Yep, of course if the date is smaller than "LatestDate" it counts the first rows as well. I modified my DAX to:

CountRowsTest = 

RETURN
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Sheet1);
FILTER(Sheet1; EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) = Sheet1[Amount] || (EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) <= Sheet1[Amount] * 1,2 && EARLIER(Sheet1[Amount]) > Sheet1[Amount] * 0,8));
FILTER(Sheet1; EARLIER(Sheet1[Company]) = Sheet1[Company]);
FILTER(Sheet1; Sheet1[Date] <= LatestDate && Sheet1[Date] >= LatestDate-10))

This is better, but not perfect. Now it compares only to the latter rows which is of course correct in principle, but now I am not able to see the "result rows". And within the last ten rows the date is always between Feb 10 and Feb 20. So I still have the problem how to pick the cases.

Testing3.PNG

/Theiren

I forgot to reply myself once found the solution. But unfortunately the solution is too heavy with large datasets, so I am not able to use this with my real data. Anyway, here is the DAX:

CountRows = 

VAR PlusTen = DATEADD(Sheet1[Date].[Date],10,DAY)
VAR MinusTen = DATEADD(Sheet1[Date].[Date],-10,DAY)
VAR MinDate = MIN(Sheet1[Date])
VAR LatestDate = IF(PlusTen > MaxDate, MaxDate, PlusTen)
VAR EarliestDate = IF(MinusTen < MinDate, MinDate, MinusTen)

RETURN
FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Date] <= LatestDate && Sheet1[Date] >= EarliestDate))

And here is the result:

TestingFinal.PNG

Unfortunately I didn't find any solution to my problem number 2. I might open a new thread about that.

/Theiren

Hi Yuliana and thank you for your reply!

Question number 1:

Adding [Date] makes it count the rows until the end, but unfortunately it doesn't count the rows correctly. If I take the first company CO1, the first three rows should have value 3 (1st-3rd Feb), next similar row for CO1 is 16th Feb, which is not within the "next ten days". So I believe it now counts all the similar values within one company, but somehow it counts only "within the future days", since Feb 16th shows the correct value (one).

Question number 2:

I am not sure how this works? Should all similar CountRows numbers have one group? I.e. if CountRows is 4, the group value is 3, if CountRows is 3, the group value is 10? I believe not because that is not what happens. E.g. ID 4 has CountRows value 2 and it also gives group value 3? I also doubt this works with my real dataset (millions of rows). I believe in my real dataset the most of CountRows will be one, and a few will get the value of 2 or 3, but it is very unlikely to have more values.

I am very glad of your help, thank you!

/Theiren

@v-yulgu-msft 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.