Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndreiFlorian
Frequent Visitor

Find Latest Value from Array

Hi there,

I am aware that there are other threads to do with this issue and I have looked over them though I did not manage to make the project work. I have an array called batteryVoltage which stores battery voltage and I want to get the last value appended to this array to use on a card. What would be the easiest way to do this?

Andrei.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hmm, I am guessing that the last row of data doesn't have a reading.  Can you try changing the mesure to this?

Last Battery =
VAR _MaxTime =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'SensoEvents'[TimeStamp] ),
        KEEPFILTERS ( ALL ( 'SensoEvents'[TimeStamp] ) )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'SensoEvent'[Battery] ), 'SensoEvents'[TimeStamp] = _MaxTime )

See if keeping the other filters lets us get a result.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
AndreiFlorian
Frequent Visitor

Thank you!

My bad, I was not aware that 'Table' had to be replaced with the name of the dataset, I am getting (blank) as the value of the field though.

Andrei.

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 21.41.09.png

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 21.41.24.png

Hmm, I am guessing that the last row of data doesn't have a reading.  Can you try changing the mesure to this?

Last Battery =
VAR _MaxTime =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'SensoEvents'[TimeStamp] ),
        KEEPFILTERS ( ALL ( 'SensoEvents'[TimeStamp] ) )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'SensoEvent'[Battery] ), 'SensoEvents'[TimeStamp] = _MaxTime )

See if keeping the other filters lets us get a result.

Hi, I got the same result, I have changed the source of the data to an excel document and added the link to the report below. Maybe you could check that out. The dataset looks a bit different but contains the same data

Power Bi - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgtzRKJQT-Ongsxs6L1-Sr1LeoSUpA?e=6VBTTE

Dataset  - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgtzRKJQT-OngsxrKxKlv1sj1x7tsQ?e=cjckhe

Andrei.

@AndreiFlorian 

In your sample all the times are the same.  How should it determine the "last" time?

Timestamp Battery

6/10/19 8:42:06 PM

6/10/19 8:42:06 PM 0
6/10/19 8:42:06 PM 0
6/10/19 8:42:06 PM 3.3
6/10/19 8:42:06 PM 3.3
6/10/19 8:42:06 PM 3.2
6/10/19 8:42:06 PM 3.1

That’s very odd as when I looked at the dataset, the times were different.

Andrei.

Hi, the values were somehow mixed up when I sent them, I worked with the formula a bit and it worket fine.

Thanks for the help!

Andrei.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@AndreiFlorian 

When you say last, how do you determine that?  Is there a date/time field on the table?

Hi,

I do have a timestamp attached to the data, I have an example of the table below.

Timestampbattery
06/10/2019 20:42:060
06/10/2019 20:42:063.3
06/10/2019 20:42:063.3
06/10/2019 20:42:063.2
06/10/2019 20:42:063.1

Ultimately, I need to return the last value (3.1).

Andrei

All of those times are the same (20:42:06) but assuming they are not that way in your data it will be something like so:

Last Battery = 
VAR _MaxTime = 
CALCULATE(
    MAX ( 'Table'[Timestamp] ),
    ALL ( 'Table'[Timestamp] )
)
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    SUM ( 'Table'[battery] ),
    'Table'[Timestamp] = _MaxTime
)

LastBattery.jpg

Hi, I tried the code provided but I get the following errors when hovering over the table names:

Parameter is not the correct type

Cannot find name '[Timestamp]'

Andrei.

Is the field called something else in your model or is it not a date/time field?

The field names are correct, I am not sure if the timestamp field is classified as a time field. It seems to be the same as the battery field. Is there a way to declare it as a date/time field?

Andrei

Can you share your .pbix file?  It's difficult to know what is causing a problem without having all the context.

Ok, I have attached the a link to the file here.

Andrei.

@AndreiFlorian ,

It looks like this book is connected to a PowerBI dataset yes? I am not able to open it to see the error.

UnableToConnect.jpg

Can you take a screen shot of the measure and the error that you get when you enter the data along with the tables?  Something like this: 
MeasureError.jpg

Maybe I can see the problems from that.

Yes, that is the error I’m getting. Could it be because of the sample not being present? I can see the data on a table though. I have posted the content of the error in the previous post

@AndreiFlorian 

My screen shot was just an example of what I was asking for and the error I showed is different than the one you said you were getting.

Parameter is not the correct type
Cannot find name '[Timestamp]'

I wanted a screen shot of your screen, including the measure and the tables with the error you get showing.  Since I cannot open your model I don't know if you have a table name wrong or a field name wrong or what.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.