Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

b2wise
Helper III
Helper III

Find Biggest, Middle and Smallest Value

Hi All,

There are two tables in my dataset one for item dimensions and one for box dimensions. I need to write logic for how many of each item can fit in a given box by dividing the largest dimension by the largest dimension, middle dimension by middle dimension and smallest dimension by smallest dimension.

So find the box dimension which is greatest (Depth, Width, or Height) and divide by the greatest item dimension (Length, Width, or Height) and so on for the middle value and the smallest value.

How would I write that in DAX? 

This is the item dimensions:

3D Item NameM1LENGTHM1WIDTHM1HEIGHT
3D-HRCW-1011.811.26.3
3D-HVE10.23625.984316.535
3D-AWMCW7.63787.48034.8031
3D-AWPCT8.976410.78742.7559
3D-AWPTC-2505.433112.5
3D-BARB6.69294.80317.1654
3D-BRTA8.85.12.5
3D-BRTP8.74025.03942.3622
3D-BRTQ8.81894.88192.4409
3D-BRTS8.85.12.5

This is the box dimensions:

BOX_TYPEBOX_HEIGHTBOX_DEPTHBOX_WIDTH
V0124.252
V024310
V0324.254
V0444.254
V0526.54
V0646.84
V0763.256
V08284
V0948.54
V104104

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This seems overly complicated to me. There are only six possible ways to orient a 3D rectangular item relative to a 3D rectangular box (assuming we ignore shifts and diagonal arrangments). Hence, we can have the computer try all of them "brute force" rather than worrying about matching small/medium/large (especially since that may not be the optimal packing anyway).

MaxFit = 
VAR BoxH = SELECTEDVALUE ( Boxes[BOX_HEIGHT] )
VAR BoxW = SELECTEDVALUE ( Boxes[BOX_WIDTH] )
VAR BoxD = SELECTEDVALUE ( Boxes[BOX_DEPTH] )
VAR ItemH = SELECTEDVALUE ( Items[M1HEIGHT] )
VAR ItemW = SELECTEDVALUE ( Items[M1WIDTH] )
VAR ItemL = SELECTEDVALUE ( Items[M1LENGTH] )
VAR Case1 = INT ( BoxH / ItemH ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemW ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemL )
VAR Case2 = INT ( BoxH / ItemH ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemL ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemW )
VAR Case3 = INT ( BoxH / ItemW ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemH ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemL )
VAR Case4 = INT ( BoxH / ItemW ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemL ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemH )
VAR Case5 = INT ( BoxH / ItemL ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemH ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemW )
VAR Case6 = INT ( BoxH / ItemL ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemW ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemH )
RETURN
    MAXX ( { Case1, Case2, Case3, Case4, Case5, Case6 }, [Value] )

In N dimensions, there are N! case permutations and it would be better to generate them more programmatically, but with 3! = 6, it's not worth the bother.

With the data from @b2wise, only item 3D-AWPTC-250 fits in any of the given boxes (with V07 able to fit the most).

AlexisOlson_0-1628030340581.png

If we assume items are listed in centimeters and boxes in inches, then things aren't quite so bad (only 3D-HVE can't fit in any box).

AlexisOlson_1-1628030615257.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @b2wise ,

Has your problem been solved? If it is solved, please mark a reply which is helpful to you.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@b2wise I wrote that once. Box Sizes - Microsoft Power BI Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

This seems overly complicated to me. There are only six possible ways to orient a 3D rectangular item relative to a 3D rectangular box (assuming we ignore shifts and diagonal arrangments). Hence, we can have the computer try all of them "brute force" rather than worrying about matching small/medium/large (especially since that may not be the optimal packing anyway).

MaxFit = 
VAR Case1 = INT ( BoxH / ItemH ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemW ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemL )
VAR Case2 = INT ( BoxH / ItemH ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemL ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemW )
VAR Case3 = INT ( BoxH / ItemW ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemH ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemL )
VAR Case4 = INT ( BoxH / ItemW ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemL ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemH )
VAR Case5 = INT ( BoxH / ItemL ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemH ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemW )
VAR Case6 = INT ( BoxH / ItemL ) * INT ( BoxW / ItemW ) * INT ( BoxD / ItemH )
RETURN

In N dimensions, there are N! case permutations and it would be better to generate them more programmatically, but with 3! = 6, it's not worth the bother.

With the data from @b2wise, only item 3D-AWPTC-250 fits in any of the given boxes (with V07 able to fit the most).

AlexisOlson_0-1628030340581.png

If we assume items are listed in centimeters and boxes in inches, then things aren't quite so bad (only 3D-HVE can't fit in any box).

AlexisOlson_1-1628030615257.png

Hi @AlexisOlson,

Thank you for your solution, the logic makes sense but I'm having trouble recreating the results. I am attempting to put the item name as the row and box type as the column and your formula as the value in a matrix. First I got an error that there was no relationship between the two tables so I made a bogus one based on those two columns. Now I'm getting an error that "An argument of function 'INT' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small". I made sure all the datatypes are correct and am not sure why it's not working.

Can you share with me how you made it work?

Thanks again!

Hi @b2wise ,

I have the same problem as you when I use the @AlexisOlson  measure. Changing "INT" to "TRUNC" I can get the correct result.

MaxFit = 
VAR Case1 =  TRUNC( BoxH / ItemH ) *  TRUNC( BoxW / ItemW ) *  TRUNC( BoxD / ItemL )
VAR Case2 =  TRUNC( BoxH / ItemH ) *  TRUNC( BoxW / ItemL ) *  TRUNC( BoxD / ItemW )
VAR Case3 =  TRUNC( BoxH / ItemW ) *  TRUNC( BoxW / ItemH ) *  TRUNC( BoxD / ItemL )
VAR Case4 =  TRUNC( BoxH / ItemW ) *  TRUNC( BoxW / ItemL ) *  TRUNC( BoxD / ItemH )
VAR Case5 =  TRUNC( BoxH / ItemL ) *  TRUNC( BoxW / ItemH ) *  TRUNC( BoxD / ItemW )
VAR Case6 =  TRUNC( BoxH / ItemL ) *  TRUNC( BoxW / ItemW ) *  TRUNC( BoxD / ItemH )
RETURN

@AlexisOlson Could be, but it would be interesting to know if 10 slightly more complicated calculations runs faster or slower than 10! slightly simpler calculations. Also depends on if you want a matrix of options or just the answer.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The factorial corresponds to the number of dimensions, not the number of boxes or items. As long as we're talking about normal 3D boxes, it's never more than six orientation possibilities per box and item and is super cheap computationally.

It's also easy to adapt what I've proposed to return a yes/no fit check ( if [MaxFit] > 0 ) or find the minimum volume box that fits a particular item ( take the min volume over boxes with [MaxFit] > 0 ).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.