Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Filters

Still working out my "newb" kinks in my early exposure to BI.  Hoping someone from the group can help me with the following questions:

1.  What is the difference between Page Level Filters vs. Report Level Filters?

2.  If I can include Report Level Filters making them available to consumers of the reports I create, can they change multiple tabes in the workbook?  i.e. A lot of reports are done by Market.  Can I enable "Market" as a Page Level Filter, allowing all of the dashboards to reflect data for Detroit when this is selecte dby a user?

3.  Are filters somehow an alternative for Slicers which don't work across multuple tabs?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

1. Page level only impacts the page, Report level impacts all pages in the report.  Think worksheets and workbook analogy in Excel.

2. You would use Slicers for this.  You would have a report (with appropriate relationships in the data model) with various visuals, and a slicer for Market could be manipulated by the end users to view data filtered for the Slicer they select.

3. Filters are a more cumbersome way to dynamically filter data compared to slicers.  Filters are great for removing entire subsections of the data, i.e. only showing data for the past year.  Also, it is possible that the end user consuming the report via powerbi.com will not have access to the report/page level filters pane when viewing the reports, so if you want them to have interactivity with the data, go with slicers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.