Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sibrulotte
Helper III
Helper III

Filters with no repurcussions on the entire data model

Hi, 

I'm an experienced Qlikview developper, and I'm trying to figure out some things about Power Bi that I probably don't get yet.

I have a data model:

Transactions:

Account_ID, Date, Sequence_no

Accounts:

Account_ID, Category_ID, User_ID

Users:

User_ID, User_code

Categories:

Category_ID, Category_Name

If I have a matrix with Categories.Category_Name as row, and count(Transactions.Account_ID) filtered by Transactions.Sequence_No = 1.

I have satisfying results. 

But the same matrix with Accounts.Account_ID, the sequence_No just says goodbye, don't care, you're on your own... And I get the full list of possible Accounts that exist for the Categories.

I've tested my relationships and they are all on the same field formats, regular table gives me proper values all well aligned, so I know it's not my keys...

What do I not understand about Power Bi? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Sibrulotte ,

Try to change the direction of cross filtering between the Transactions table and the Accounts table to Both.

v-kkf-msft_0-1617242858654.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HarishKM
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Sibrulotte Hey Mate ,
for the 1st statements :  Categories.Category_Name as row, and count(Transactions.Account_ID) filtered by Transactions.Sequence_No = 1 but for the 2nd statement  Accounts.Account_ID, the sequence_No .  You are not passing any filter or slicer if you want to slicer and dice the data then kindly hard code it using different filter available in power bi or use slicer to slicer and dice the data .For a taste you can use Transactions.Sequence_No = 1 . It will slice and dice where Transactions.Sequence_No = 1 .

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Sibrulotte 

Can you please provide more info with screenshots, input and required output in table format for the community so that you ask can be better understood and resolved quickly.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Sibrulotte_0-1617044916369.png

You aske for a print screen, but my actual data model is a bit more complexe. Anyways, the principle is the same. 

I have a slicer with Dates in the calender above (not shown), that is join by the DateReport_date. 

I have a matrix with a Filter on Sequence number that gives this result:

Sibrulotte_1-1617045471176.png

So the first colomn is a count from Tansactions table, which is perfect, it slices with the proper Sequence, but the second is from the account table and it is just a listing of all the accounts that had transactions during those dates, but disregards the SequenceNo filter, and the third is the user id (a user can have multiple accounts) and is maybe a key issue, but I double checked it, don't get that one. 

Hi @Sibrulotte ,

Try to change the direction of cross filtering between the Transactions table and the Accounts table to Both.

v-kkf-msft_0-1617242858654.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.