Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Quiny_Harl
Resolver I
Resolver I

Filters on date slicer do not work as expected

Hello,

I have an issue with how filtering on date slicer works which I consider to be a bug in Power BI but I would like to have your opinion. 

Let's say I want to set a relative date filter on my date slicer so that it shows last one year.

Quiny_Harl_0-1648138736467.png

After I apply the filter on the date slicer, we can see that it shows last one year but the visuals are simply not affected by it (FYI - the date in the visual is in the YYYYMM format). If I choose different dates from the slicer, the visuals are filtered but at the moment I return to the original dates, the visuals are again not affected by the date slicer! As you can imagine, If I want to post the report to Power BI Service with the dates in the last one year this becomes a problem.

Another very similar case related to this issue. I had a request the report to show last 2 years of data by default starting from the end of previous month. This should be the default setting and then the users should be able to choose another date range if they want to.
This can be achived with the following measure:

Default Date Range =
VAR start_date = EOMONTH(TODAY(),-25) + 1
VAR end_date = EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1)
VAR result = IF (
SELECTEDVALUE('DATE'[Date]) >= start_date && SELECTEDVALUE('DATE'[Date])<= end_date,
)
RETURN result

Then I put this measure as a filter on my date slicer and set it to show items when  value is 1:
Quiny_Harl_1-1648139773311.png

As we can see, the date slicer is filtered properly but the visual below is not affected by it. 
I'm kind of clueless on how to tackle this problem.

8 REPLIES 8
vesc

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. When there is a filter on the date slicer and I dont limit the data in the slicer as such the filter does not cascade down to the other visual. And yes, me interactions are set correctly.

Any news on that issued?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

agree with @v-kkf-msft , this is by design.  I also agree with you - it is bad design, specifically for this scenario.  I think they need to review this functionality.  Consider raising it at https://issues.powerbi.com or if you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Quiny_Harl ,

This behavior is by design. There are 2 aspects collaborating together:

1. The relative date filter applies only to the values that are selectable in the slicer. That filter won't propagate anywhere else.

2. A behavior of the range slicer is that if the customer does not move the slider at both ends, as shown in the figure below, there is effectively no filter applied.

vkkfmsft_0-1648539625081.png

So if you never changed the ends of the range, either by dragging the slider or typing in a value, or if you selected the values that are the Min or Max, the filter won't do anything in actuality. This is to allow scenarios where one of the ends keeps changing.

I would recommend you use the same relative date filter to other visuals.

Referencing: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/MAX-Date-wrong-Strange-MAX-DATE-behavior/td-p/2258170 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-kkf-msft Please, reread my post again, especially the part where I explain how "if I choose different dates from the slicer, the visuals are filtered but at the moment I return to the original dates, the visuals are again not affected by the date slicer!". I don't think this is by design because when I move the slicer to return to the dates that represent last X years of data, the visuals show all the data and are not affected by the date slicer.

I am facing the same issue. When the relative filter is set to (eg. last 6 months), the report does not filter by date. Only when I go and pick a certain date, the filter is applied. Is there a way to workaround this? Only customerName is showing under filters not the date range as you can see below.

relative date filter.png

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share the link from where i can download your PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi @Ashish_Mathur ,
You can try with any PBI file, it will most probably be the same.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It is likely working as designed. Hover over the filter icon to see which other filters contribute to the current filter context.  Most likely you have chosen a date field not from the calendar table but from the fact table.  Hard to tell without seeing the data model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.