Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filters and sorting issues with data from different languages

We're experiencing issues with databases that has different language data. 

We have a Power BI report that was created originally with a PC language set as English but when we're importing data with characters from the danish and swedish languages (ÆØÅ -ÅÄÖ), the filters and sorting doesn't show correctly when using characters that's not in the english language. 

Below is a screenshot where you can see the sorting of names with swedish characters is not in the right order:

jacobs_0-1623750562673.png

We have tried changing the language of the desktop report to swedish/danish without success.

Then we've found extensive solution which is to recreate the report in swedish or danish but that causes problems with import measures, columns, style and visuals which is a pain to recreate. 

We've thought about splitting  the datamodel and report but it'll be difficult and extensive to maintain. 

Has anyone had similiar issues and have you been able to solve it? 

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jacob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I reproduced your scenario, and this problem did occur, but I found a solution, which is simpler than recreating the report.

You need to create another report(with swedish language model setting) with the field(need to sort), then create a column to sort and publish it to pbi service.

Like this:

Column = RANKX('Table',[Column1],[Column1],ASC)

vjaneygmsft_2-1623922892193.png

Secondly, You need to add a powerbi dataset data source to the original report, and then establish a relationship between the two tables, and then use the new table columns and calculated columns in the visual to replace the original one, then you can get the correct order finally.

vjaneygmsft_3-1623923230300.png

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I reproduced your scenario, and this problem did occur, but I found a solution, which is simpler than recreating the report.

You need to create another report(with swedish language model setting) with the field(need to sort), then create a column to sort and publish it to pbi service.

Like this:

Column = RANKX('Table',[Column1],[Column1],ASC)

vjaneygmsft_2-1623922892193.png

Secondly, You need to add a powerbi dataset data source to the original report, and then establish a relationship between the two tables, and then use the new table columns and calculated columns in the visual to replace the original one, then you can get the correct order finally.

vjaneygmsft_3-1623923230300.png

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Janey.

Thank you for your answer. 

As I understand, I would have to do this for each language and table that I wish to sort.

This seems almost the same as recreating the report if I understand correctly?

Regards,
Jacob

Hi, @Anonymous 

If there are many measures and visuals in your table, then my method will save a lot of time. If there is only one visual, then it is almost the same.

You only need to create and connect the dataset containing that language field and a calculated column, and replace the original language field after create the relationship. 

The whole process takes only a few minutes. I think this is the only and fast way.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.