Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JetMax
Frequent Visitor

Filters Data before from excel it gets imported to power bi

Hi! 

I need help, I have linked my power bi desktop to a folder where we house Excel files I want to do reporting on but some of the data in the files we don't want to include (previous months data and certain "payment types"). Is there a way to set up a query so that before power bi imports that data it filters out what we dont want?

I have tried filtering it when its already imported but that doesnt give me the result I want.

Any help would be greatly appreicated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @JetMax 

From PowerBI desktop on the Home tab you can select "Edit Queries" and apply the filters in there.  When you do it that way you are using Power Query to filter the data before it gets loaded into your data model.

EditQueries.jpg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @JetMax 

From PowerBI desktop on the Home tab you can select "Edit Queries" and apply the filters in there.  When you do it that way you are using Power Query to filter the data before it gets loaded into your data model.

EditQueries.jpg

Thanks @jdbuchanan71 that is super helpful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.