Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

s45kougo
Helper I
Helper I

Filtering within a VALUES function based on another field

Hi all - hoping someone can help me with this (my first plea for help!)

I'll give an anonymised example of what I need to do - the real version is obviously a bit more complicated!

I have a table with multiple fields.  Two of those fields are named Fruit and Colour, looking something like this:

Fruit          Colour

Avocado   green

Lemon      yellow

Grapes      red

Grapes      green

Grapes      black

Apple        green

I want to use the VALUES function to return the names of the fruit where the colour is green.  This is then being used within a CROSSJOIN as part of a larger statement for a mapping table, for example:

Slicer =

var fruit = CROSSJOIN(ROW("Type","Fruit"), VALUES('Table'[fruit] *but only where fruit is green*))

var vegetable = CROSSJOIN(ROW("Type","Vegetable"), VALUES('Table'[Vegetable]))

return UNION(fruit,vegetable)

This works to return all fruit and vegetables, but can anyone please tell me how to filter the list of fruit down?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Another approach is to use CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Table[Fruit]), Table[Colour] = "green").

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Another approach is to use CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Table[Fruit]), Table[Colour] = "green").

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thank you very much for this @mahoneypat !  It's a neat solution, and I feel it's easy for another user to read the logic 🙂

DataZoe
Employee
Employee

@s45kougo Not sure I understand the scenario here, but my first thought was this:

Slicer =

var fruit = CROSSJOIN(ROW("Type","Fruit"), filter(VALUES('Table'[fruit]),'Table'[Colour]="Green"))

Respectfully,
Zoe Douglas (DataZoe)

Follow me on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/zoedouglas-data
See my reports and blog at https://www.datazoepowerbi.com/

@DataZoe I'd hoped that this would work as I was thinking along the same lines.  However, because VALUES returns a single column, [Colour] cannot be the second parameter in the FILTER function.  Many thanks for replying anyway 🙂

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @s45kougo 

try a table

Table 2 = SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Colour]="green"), "Fruit", 'Table'[Fruit])

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Thanks @az38 , this is perfect and works.  I can use this within my query without actually having to create a table to give me:

Slicer =

var fruit = CROSSJOIN(ROW("Type","Fruit"), SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER('Table','Table'[Colour]="Green"),"Fruit",'Table'[Fruit]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.