Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filtering with many-to-many relationship

Hi!

For the last three days I am trying to do some filtering on many to many related tables. Unfortunately I have not found a solution yet on this forum.  I have thee related tables

Table A > Excel import
Table B > DirectQuery SQL 

Table C > DirecyQuery SQL

Those three tables are related with an order_id field. PowerBI automatically recognizes the relation as 'many to many' , cross filter direction 'both' with security check box enabled. 

What I try to accomplish is that I want to show the records of table B which do no occur in table A. 

Methods I tryed which did not work:

- Merge queries with different join types.

- Calculated column.

- Enable 'Show items with no data'.

Whats is the correct way to achieve what I try to accomplish?

Thanks, Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You should be able to do this with your existing tables with a measure like the following:

In Table1 missing in Table2 = 
IF( HASONEVALUE(Table1[OrderID]), 
  Var _table1OrderID = MAX(Table1[OrderID])
  Var _table2RowsWithTable1ID = CALCULATETABLE(Table2, TREATAS({_table1OrderID},Table2[OrderID]))
  Var _countOfMIssingRows = COUNTROWS(_table2RowsWithTable1ID)
  return IF(_countOfMissingRows = 0,"Missing")
)

Returns a result like this

2019-03 missing in other table.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Andshepch
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Mark,

What I do is create a calculated table using UNION and DISTINCT

Table = DISTINCT(UNION(DISTINCT('Table A'[order_id]),DISTINCT('Table B'[order_id]),DISTINCT('Table C'[order_id])))

Then create a relationship[ between Table A, Table B and Table C and your new table

Then you can create a visualisation table of Table B, and insert a filter of the order_id from Table A, and filter it for Blanks

I think that should work.

Regards

Andrew

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mark,

You can achieve this by having factless fact table inbetween your tables (table A has many to many relationship with table B).

Table A --> factlessfact table --> Table B

Factless fact table should have distinct ids from table B.

And Table A(id) --> factlessfact(Distinct ids of Table B) --> table B

Relationship between factlessfact table and table B should be in bidirection mode.

Regards,

Pradeep

You should be able to do this with your existing tables with a measure like the following:

In Table1 missing in Table2 = 
IF( HASONEVALUE(Table1[OrderID]), 
  Var _table1OrderID = MAX(Table1[OrderID])
  Var _table2RowsWithTable1ID = CALCULATETABLE(Table2, TREATAS({_table1OrderID},Table2[OrderID]))
  return IF(_countOfMissingRows = 0,"Missing")
)

Returns a result like this

2019-03 missing in other table.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

This looks like a nice solution. I added a new measure but I just says for every order_id it is missing. My order id are type text, can this cause a problem? Changed MAX to MAXA and no difference. 

No, the data type shouldn't make any difference. I just changed my test model to text OrderID's

2019-03 missing in other table text.png

You can download my simple test model from my onedrive here if you want to have a look at it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, model is working nice. Somehow my own model does not work... can it be something with directquery?

Knipsel.PNG

No, I don't think DirectQuery would matter. I added a DirectQuery table to my test model and it worked fine. (I just added the text "<Found>" to the else section of the IF statement so that I could see the matched rows)

2019-03 missing in other table DQ.png

In SalesOrder1 missing in Internet Sales = 
IF( HASONEVALUE(SalesOrders1[SalesOrderID]), 
  Var _table1OrderID = VALUES(SalesOrders1[SalesOrderID])
  Var _table2RowsWithTable1ID = CALCULATETABLE('FactInternetSales', TREATAS({_table1OrderID},'FactInternetSales'[SalesOrderNumber]))
  var _result = IF(_countOfMissingRows = 0,"Missing","<Found>")
  return _result
)

Are you sure that the hyphen characters are identical between the two data sets and that there is no trailing whitespace or anything like that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for putting some much time and effort into this question. I still have the same problem. See attached .gif.

1sdbUXdUPp.gif

Is that a test model that you could upload to somewhere? If you have a bi-directional many to many relationship I can't think why table2 filters table1, but not the other way around.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I copied the values from the tables and found out the directquery add's two spaces. I transformed the column with trim and it works..

Thanks!

@Anonymous wrote:

I copied the values from the tables and found out the directquery add's two spaces. I transformed the column with trim and it works..

So technically I think you'll find that the extra spaces are in the source tables, not added by DirectQuery, but I understand what the issue is and I'm glad you found the solution. 🙂  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.