Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rigosakh
Frequent Visitor

Filtering two tables from the same query

Hi all, 

I've created two tables from the same query - one table has data in the original format and the other one (auxiliary, I use it to simplify the calculation of some measures) with the same data but with some columns removed / pivoted. The problem is that the second table doesn't respond to filters that I've set up to control the first (original) dataset. I can't establish relationships between these tables because it is essentially the same data ("columns must have unique values" error) . Is there any way around that or the only way to fix the filtering issue is to change DAX formulas so it doesn't require the second table ?  

If what I mean is unclear then I'll show the example of data later

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

Rigosakh,

I recorded a video response for you 🙂
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU_1sreC4R0 (see also attached file)

Power On!
-Avi Singh. Microsoft MVP. PowerBIPro

Power BI Tutorial for Beginners (Step-by-Step) and more on YouTube.com/PowerBIPro

Hi Avi, 

Thank you for the fast reply and an informative video. I can imagine your confusion 🙂 The reason why I'm doing this unusual thing is because I'm terrible at DAX and struggle to create complicated DAX formulae. I'm migrating from doing analysis in Excel and some calculations that relied on extensive use of pivot tables are hard for me to translate into Power BI format. The second (simplified) table was used as a pivot table in excel. I got rid of referencing the query to create a secondary table and  now use SUMMARIZECOLUMNS instead. However, the problem remains the same - the filter doesn't control a table created by SUMMARIZECOLUMNS

Please see the snapshot of original data below ("site" ranges between  ~1-1000, time between 8am-6pm):

Original data.PNG

Then using SUMMARIZECOLUMNS I create a new table to count how many times in total each product was registered per daysummarizecolumns output.PNG

Then I need to calculate how many 1 values in "frequency" there are, 2 , 3 etc . Then it is also used for another calculation. I'm relatively new to DAX and can't get my head around how to use SUMMARIZECOLUMNS in a measure without creating a new table. 

Hi @rigosakh,

You have resolved the original problem via the suggestion in above link you provided, right? If so, would you please accept your sharing solution so that others having similar concern can find the answer more easily?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft ,

Yes, I've solved the original problem and marked the post with a link as accepted solution. However, this solution caused another issue and I'm not sure whether I should create another topic with a new question or continue posting here ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors