Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ypaotroicn

Filtering to reverse filtering. What??

Hello community!

I have a bit of a complicated question so I will try to set up the scenario.

I have an Excel data table showing deal numbers, individuals working on the deal, and then the amount the deal is worth. Numerous people work on each individual deal, so there are multiple rows with the same deal numbers and amounts, but with different individuals listed. These individuals also work on multiple deal numbers, and they are not always the same. This data goes through thousands of lines.

My question is, if I were to look at an individual (John Smith) and all the deals that he's worked on, but then also want a list of the individuals who worked on that deal, is there an easy way to use PowerBI to show that information?

I can set it up so that I can see all the deals that John Smith worked on, but then I would have to write down each deal (which can be many), and then filter them individually, but that would take a while.

I know how to do this through vlookups and such, but I was just looking for a more streamlined process.

Any help would be great!

2 REPLIES 2
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ypaotroicn

Can you please share data model, sample data and the output you expect.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

The query below reads tables "Deals" and "SelectedName" (1 row with the selected name).

It filters the deals on the selected name.

The result is joined with all deals (nestedjoin).

A column is added with all individuals (<comma><space> separated).

The column with tables from the nested join is removed,

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Deals"]}[Content],
    Deals = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Deal", Int64.Type}, {"Individual", type text}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}}),
    Source2 = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="SelectedName"]}[Content],
    SelectedName = List.Single(Source2[Name]),
    FilteredDeals = Table.SelectRows(Deals, each ([Individual] = SelectedName)),
    Merged = Table.NestedJoin(FilteredDeals,{"Deal"},Deals,{"Deal"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Individuals = Table.AddColumn(Merged, "Individuals", each Text.Combine([NewColumn][Individual],", ")),
    RemovedNewColumn = Table.RemoveColumns(Individuals,{"NewColumn"})
in
    RemovedNewColumn
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.