Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Maurus

Filtering table with a selected value

Hi,

I need to create a copy of Table1 with some selected rows only, based on the value of Table1[column1].

If that value were some constant 'a', I could write : Table2 = Filter('Table1', 'Table1'[column1] = a

However, the value 'a' is not a constant. It has to be selected by the user. So, (I guess) using a slicer.

The problem is that I can't use the function SELECTEDVALUE as it does not work. The value selected is not passed into the filter and Table2 is shown empty when I do the following: Table2 = Filter('Table1', 'Table1'[column1] = SELECTEDVALUE( 'some table column containing the values for the selection')

I also tried to first define a variable with SLECTEDVALUE() and use the vaiable into the command above, or with a measure defining SELECTEDVALUE().  Any solution including SELECTEDVALUE() is not working.

Any suggestion?

Many thanks.

-maurus.

3 REPLIES 3
Maurus

Hi Amit,  The slicer was a guess. It could be somethink else. Basically the question is:

How do you copy part of a table (by part of I mean rows, i.e. all columns with just some rows) filtering on some "desired value selected by the user" ?

Hi,  @Maurus 

I thought of a way to create parameters in pq, but this is not very convenient for users to change. If you can make it clear what you want to use table2 for, I think I might be able to help you think of a workaround.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Maurus , As of now you can not use slicer values for creation of a new table.

You can suggest an idea or vote for the existing one: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.