Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

charles88

Filtering table per USERNAME()

Hi 

Not knowing DAX at all but know excel so struggling to learn how things are done, 

I have a table with many users data and wish to filter it per user, 

I have a table user mapping that has the email addesses [Username] and names [Name]

i've created a measure that returns the username from their loggin

Userfilter =
LOOKUPVALUE(Usermapping[Name],Usermapping[Username],USERNAME())

This works fine and i can have a card that returns the name of the user, 

But how can i filter a column on based on this measure 

I tried a new column with
User List =
IF('PDM Output'[Assignee]=Usermapping[Userfilter],'PDM Output'[Assignee],BLANK())

But it errors with the username function is not supported, seems like a real simple problem but hard to solve in power bi, please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've solved it by using the the roles and permissions that only shows the usernames that are the same as USERNAME(), Usernames is only used in the one table that i want to filter so all other data is ok

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
charles88

Thanks could you make that a bit simplier for me i'm a bit fried on this at the moment, The User filter returns at the moment a single value but in the 'PDM Output'[Assignee] column i have returns many rows of the user, can't see how i can do this without creating a column that is linked to the Username to flag it as 0 or 1 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@charles88 Correct, USERNAME is not supported in calculated columns but rather only in measures. So, use a measure instead that returns a 1 or 0 and in your Filters pane filter the measure to only be 1 or 0. The Complex Selector - Microsoft Power BI Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I've solved it by using the the roles and permissions that only shows the usernames that are the same as USERNAME(), Usernames is only used in the one table that i want to filter so all other data is ok

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.