Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SG_17
Frequent Visitor

Filtering rows in one table by values from another table

Hi, relatively new user trying to complicate my own life with difficult tasks. lol.  I need some help with filtering out rows from a data table (Table A) based on matching IDs from a lookup table (Table B). I would prefer to do this with a measure rather than through a creating a new table to minimize data redundancy. I would like to have both with and without the filter to be shown in different columns on the report. I think this can be better explained via visualization in my example below:

Table A

IDCostRevenue

Table B (discontinuation)

ID

Matrix on report:

Before DiscAfter Disc
Total Cost138
Total Revenue2718

Any recommendations?  Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SG_17
Frequent Visitor

I figured it out: 

CALCULATE(sum(Table A[Total Cost]),EXCEPT(VALUES(Table A[Product_ID]),VALUES(Table B[Product_ID])))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SG_17 

edhanss way is good. And you may try my way.

I build a table as below.

1.png

And build two measures to achieve your goal.

Total cost = IF(MAX('Table'[Statue])="Before",SUM(A[Cost]),CALCULATE(SUM(A[Cost]),FILTER(ALL(A),NOT A[ID] IN VALUES(B[ID]))))
Total Revenue = IF(MAX('Table'[Statue])="Before",SUM(A[Revenue]),CALCULATE(SUM(A[Revenue]),FILTER(ALL(A),NOT A[ID] IN VALUES(B[ID]))))

Use measures to build a matrix, and select show on rows in Values.

Result:

2.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Filtering rows in one table by values from another table

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

edhans
Super User
Super User

I would just bring in one table. Merge Table B to Table A and create a Discontinued column. Then you can have very simple measures that just total revenue and costs with this:

Total Revenue = SUM('Table A'[Revenues])

Total Cost= SUM('Table A'[Cost])

edhans_0-1596155284854.png

See my PIBX attached. Note that in the Matrix settings I had to tick the Show the Values on the Rows setting. That is not the default. You can see in the Power Query (Transform Data) part where I merged the tables to just create a True/False field for the Discontinued. You can change that formulat to show "Discontinued" and "Not Discontinued" vs the true and false values there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
SG_17
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure if that can work though.  Table A has multiple instances of the ID that are added daily (the table is updated weekly), while Table B has one instance of each ID and changes (not necessarily all IDs) quarterly. Timing would also play a factor in how the discontinuation is applied. To provide a little more clarity, I used the term discontinuation, but really we offer different plans that provide for the ability to opt-out of specific products based on a given plan for reduced costs. This opt-out product list (plan) is generated quarterly.  The goal of this analysis is to see the change in costs and revenues when a client wants to opt-out to determine overall pricing.  The way that we calculate this is that we apply this opt-out plan to a clients previous product order history (Table A is total product orders) to tell them the savings from opting out.  Accordingly, I would prefer to just update the data tables (Table A weekly and Table B quarterly), rather than having to re-create merged tables.   

Here's a little more clarity via example:

Table A

Order_dateProduct_IDCostRevenue

1/1/2020

1/2/2020111715
1/3/20202311020
1/3/202022235
1/4/202012358

Table B

YearQuarterProduct_ID
2020Q1123
2020Q1222

Output

Total costTotal revenue
Opt-in3056
Opt-out1735
SG_17
Frequent Visitor

I figured it out: 

CALCULATE(sum(Table A[Total Cost]),EXCEPT(VALUES(Table A[Product_ID]),VALUES(Table B[Product_ID])))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.