Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

froy
Frequent Visitor

Filtering in Query Editor, Not data in data tab

Hi!

I am using a SQL query as an origin for a table and I have experiencing probems when filtering in the Query Editor. 

The problem is:

First Scenario:
1 Large Fact Table without applying filters ->OK (the data appears in the editor and after refreshing also in the data tab)

Second Scenario:

I apply one filter in the query editor in order to reduce the table size. The preview shows data but when I close the editor and refresh, the data tab only shows de table column names but not any data!!  -> NOK

Filter in the Editor:

Anotación 2020-09-03 134227.png

Results in the Data Tab:

8888.png

I have tried refreshing all in the editor, in the desktop and also refreshing only this table. Nothing worked.

Third Scenario:
If I apply the same filter in the SQL query (not using a new step in the editor) it works perfectly -> OK

It will be awesome if someone could help me... Thanks a lot!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@froy - I have seen this happen from time to time and usually if I add a new column in the data tab the data will magically appear. You might be having a similar issue.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@froy , If you apply a filter in edit query data will be filtered, ideally.

In the data view, if you do see data just click on a column in the field list and click ok table again.

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @froy 

In addition to and ‘s reply. This situation you meet is a common problem. Due to you can see the Data view in desktop, you may get data by import connection. And I have a test.

Firstly I get data from SQL and don't do any filter. I can see all values.

3.png

1.png

Then do some filters in Power Query Editor, and apply.

4.png

I still can see the values in data view.

Please try to build a report visual by table in Second Scenario, if you succeed to build a visual, your table is well except showing blank in data view. You may try to click the column names in Fields tab, click refresh in Home tab or add a new column and try again. 

5.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

4 REPLIES 4
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @froy 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @froy 

In addition to and ‘s reply. This situation you meet is a common problem. Due to you can see the Data view in desktop, you may get data by import connection. And I have a test.

Firstly I get data from SQL and don't do any filter. I can see all values.

3.png

1.png

Then do some filters in Power Query Editor, and apply.

4.png

I still can see the values in data view.

Please try to build a report visual by table in Second Scenario, if you succeed to build a visual, your table is well except showing blank in data view. You may try to click the column names in Fields tab, click refresh in Home tab or add a new column and try again. 

5.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@froy , If you apply a filter in edit query data will be filtered, ideally.

In the data view, if you do see data just click on a column in the field list and click ok table again.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@froy - I have seen this happen from time to time and usually if I add a new column in the data tab the data will magically appear. You might be having a similar issue.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.