Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filtering directly on a count measure

So I have two tables which I want to compare using a slicer which has the options of "Difference", "Common", "All"

Table1

Venue CodeVenue NameCustomer Code
LagunaSuria101Suria
LagunaSuria102Suria
LagunaSuria103Suria
LagunaSuria104Suria
LagunaSuriaGENSURIA
LagunaSuriaGENSURIA
LagunaSuria105Suria
LagunaSuria106Suria
LagunaSuria107Suria
BahamasSunwayBah123
BahamasSunwayBah124
BahamasSunwayBah125

Table2

Venue CodeVenue NameCustomer Code
LagunaSuria101Suria
LagunaSuria102Suria
LagunaSuria103Suria
LagunaSuria104Suria
LagunaSuriaGENSURIA
LagunaSuriaGENSURIA
LagunaSuria 
LagunaSuria 
LagunaSuria 
BahamasSunwayBah123
BahamasSunwayBah124
BahamasSunwayBah125

So now I will have two card visuals which will display the count of customer code for each of the tables. If the slicer is selected at "All" then the card visual for table 1 will show 12 while the card visual for table 2 will show 9. If "Difference" is selected at the slicer then the card visual for table 1 should show 9 while card visual for table 2 will show 6. If "Common" is selected at the slicer then the card visual for table 1 should show only 3 while the card visual for table 2 will only show 3 as well (because Bahamas is the only common one).

Below is the logic I have in mind but I cannot figure out the exact condition I should set.

Count = 
VAR CurrentStatus = SELECTEDVALUE('Show Options'[Option])

if CurrentStatus = "Difference" && SOME CONDITION, then count only the rows that meet the condition

else if CurrrentStatus = "Common" && SOME CONDITION, then count only the rows that meet the condition

else if CurrentStatus - "All", then count all the rows

RETURN Whatever has been counted

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Hello @Anonymous ,

I would use the switch function and then build the slicer as a table. 

Meaning:

Create a table where you enter the three different status.

Then create three different measures for each card, counting what you want to count (distinct count, differences and common), so you have 6 measures in total. 

Then place the measures on the card visual and fill the slicer with the created table. 

Does that help? If so, please

• mark this post as a solution
  • give kudos

Thanks hashtag_pete

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can understand what you want, but I don't understand the logic of returning the results.

When the slicer selects 'ALL', why does Table 2 return 9 instead of 12? 

Why does the slicer select 'Difference', the result of Table 1 is 9 and the result of Table 2 is 6?

Please tell me your counting logic in detail.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be basing the Customer Code count on the Venue Code, so there are two venues which is Laguna and Bahamas. Laguna has 9 customer code count in table1 while it only has 6 customer code count in table2 (3 rows that are not matching), that is why if I select "Difference" only the customer code count of each Laguna from their respective tables will be counted since the Laguna from the two tables have differences, that is why the card visual for table1 should show 9 while the card visual for table2 should show 6. Meanwhile Bahamas in table1 has 3 customer code count and likewise the same in table2 (all 3 rows are matching), that is why it is the only thing that will be chosen when selecting "Common"

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There are built-in functions in DAX for this

INTERSECT() - commonalities

EXCEPT() - differences

UNION ()  and SUMMARIZE() - all

Note:  You have duplicate rows in each table. The results of the Venn Diagrams will be skewed.  Better to have unique row identifier columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.