Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

madashelliam
Regular Visitor

Filtering data based on another table

I have 2 tables. Table A has list of employees and how much leave they have. Table B has a list of some of the names but only those that have agreed to a certien condition. They are linked via a employee id number. I cant work out how to filter table A based on them being listed in table B. Do i need to write a calculate formula in table A or can i filter them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@madashelliam You need to ensure there is active relationship between table A and B via power bi relationship view and filtering will work automatically for you. When you create relationship in power bi ensure cross-filter direction is set to Both and this will filter both table based on selection of another. Just like shown below,

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@madashelliam If you have difined relationship between table a and table b, then you can use a slicer visual to filter the employees in table a. Add a slicer to your report, and drag employeeID into Field of the slicer, then you can filter the the employees in table a.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

thanks for some reason this worked were as just filtering didnt

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@madashelliam You need to ensure there is active relationship between table A and B via power bi relationship view and filtering will work automatically for you. When you create relationship in power bi ensure cross-filter direction is set to Both and this will filter both table based on selection of another. Just like shown below,

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am doing something similar with a similar problem-

So I want to create a filter based on the data in the table I am linking to. That second table contains a bunch of other options but I just want to have options to filter by what is in the first table.

Example:

Table 1: EE ID's (count = 5)

Table 2: EE Demo Information (count = 1000)

I want to throw a slicer on the visualization so I can filter those 5 EE' ID's by their state for example. But when I do the state slicer I have all 50 options instead of their 5 states. Is there anyway around this?

@ankitpatira 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors