Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nilimarodrigues
Helper III
Helper III

Filtering data based on another table's filtering which in turn is based on user selected value

Hello Experts,

I am trying to find a solution for below problem but I am really not getting anywhere. Your help is sincerely appreciated.

So, I have three tables in my model - 1> Date Table 2> Configuration Table 3> Scenario Transaction Table. I have provided sample data for each of them below.

My objective is -> Based on user selected Month/Year, obtain the "Scenario Name" from the configuration table dynamically and use that "Scenario Name" to filter the data from table "Scenario Transaction Data".

For eg. If User selects 5/1/2020, The final table should display all three rows from "Transaction Data" for scenario "MAY SCENARIO" but the output should display the "Date" from "Date Table" for April, May and June/2020 as this "Date Table" is central table and have other time characteristics for further drill-ups like quarter, year etc.

nilimarodrigues_1-1595634890537.png

nilimarodrigues_2-1595634907733.png

nilimarodrigues_3-1595634956539.png

If user enters -> 5/1/2020, output should be:

nilimarodrigues_4-1595635144163.png

Thank You,

NR

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nilimarodrigues ,

Based on your description, you can create realationships between these tables without creating any measure:

realationship.png

Put the Date field in the slicer:

slicer.png

Use a table visual to show the result:

result.png

Attached my sample file that hopes to help you: Filtering data based on another table's filtering which in turn is based on user selected value.pbix

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Relationship defintion as you have showen does not work in my business case as their were other tables involved as well causing relationship conflicts.

Unfortunately, this solution will work for a simple scenario. Did not work for my case and we have to remove user prompt of month to always use the scenario for current month.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@nilimarodrigues - Seems like you could get there using LOOKUPVALUE or simple filtering (FILTER) wrapped with a MAXX for example. Or, if your relationships were:

• Date Table[Date] 1<->1 Configuration Table[Date]
  • Configuration Table[Scenario Name] 1->* Scenario[Scenario Name]

Then it would just work.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your quick reply @Greg_Deckler .

I tried the relationship approach but unfortunately as I need to use dates from "Date Table" establishing relations as you mentioned is not working. It will only display me just one row from Transacction Data table for only the month selected by user.

I am not sure how can I use LOOKUPVALUE for this. Would you be able to help me understand how can I use it? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.