Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

josecruz50

Filtering by range of data (coordinates)

Hi! One week Power BI user here...

I have created a report about tremors. Among the data that I am reporting, I have latitude and longitude, which are plotting without any problem on my Map visualization. The thing is that I want to filter my data to a range of specific coordinates. I am looking for something like the date range filter that the Slicer visualization has, but for latitude and longitud. I also want to set my data my regions, for example, whatever falls between latitude -50 and -60 & longitude 20 and 30, I will call it My Land; and then I have a simple Slicer with those preset regions. I want my users to select their desire range of coordinates or select the preset regions, so that both my data and its related map can be automatically filtered based on those selections. Having the map to zoom to that range of coordinates automatically (although it does not have to be perfectly zoomed, due to the size of the map), would be an awesome plus!

Any ideas? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I figured out the problem. Although my latitude and longitude variables were set to the correct data category, the data type had to be decimal number.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @josecruz50 ,

You can put the Latitude and Longitude value into the Latitude and Longitude of Map visual in Fields pane, and then create Slicers for Latitude and Longitude like picture below.

6.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xicai wrote:

Hi @josecruz50 ,

You can put the Latitude and Longitude value into the Latitude and Longitude of Map visual in Fields pane, and then create Slicers for Latitude and Longitude like picture below.

6.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-xicai . What you just showed is exactly what I need, but when I create a slicer based on latitude or longitude, the system gives me two options for slicer type: list and dropdown. The system is not giving me an option for range selection bar. Can you tell me how you got it? Thanks!!!

I figured out the problem. Although my latitude and longitude variables were set to the correct data category, the data type had to be decimal number.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.