Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

acteno

Filtering by different data sources

Dear community,

after having set up a model that imports a time series (on 15min-base over at least one year) for one case I would like to extend that model now.

It would be neccessary to have the data of different users that each have the same time stamp in one model so that in the end it is possible to switch between the users without mixing them up. The core issue is that I don't want to copy the model each time and sest it up for a new user but simply add a new user and then be able to choose each single one seperately to display the development over time.

So my question now is how to implement this in the import or in the filtering/ slicing or both maybe?

Thanks for your help in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi acteno,

Currently, I'm not understanding your requirement completely. Do you mean each user accesses to data model can see his own data? Which data source type are you connecting to? If you are connect to SSAS database, you might want to take a look at links:

Roles (SSAS Tabular)

Implement Dynamic Security by Using Row Filters

If I misunderstand the issue, please clarify the requirement vividly.

Best regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Qiuyun_Yu,

thanks for your reply, maybe I didn't explain clearly enough.

It's not that different users have access to the database but I have data from different users/customers/cases over a certain time that I would like to implement and visualize always in the same way. So far I have always copied the model and made a new one for every case connecting to this specific database. But I would like to know if there is a possibility to have one model, as it always has to meet the same requirements, where I can switch easily between the different datasets displayed.

Another problem is, when in the base model, the years 2000-2010 are implemented but for a certain case I only have 2006 data, I copy the model and change the data source but somehow the rest, where there is no data inscribed in the new dataset, isn't simply left blank but still has the "old" data from the former dataset. Is there maybe a simple tag that I missed to tick?

thanks for the help in advance!

And sorry, I forgot: I am connecting to excel or csv sheets currently but also would start to use databases in future.

Hi acteno,

Based on my understanding about your first question, the data model contains different users/customers/cases over a certain time. You want to query different results for different cases then present them in the report, right?

If that is a case, you can create multiple queries to retrieve data from one data model, then in Query Editor to modify each query to get expected data for each case.

q2.PNG

Regarding the second issue, do you mean when you implement years from 2000 to 2010, actually only 2006 has data, but other years also contain the data? You can open Query Editor then find the column year, filter data only when year equals to 2006.

q3.PNG

If issue persists, please share some screenshots to elaborate the issue.

Best regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Qiuyun_Yu,

this problem might be a bit difficult to explain and get, but fortunately we solved it by now.

Thanks for your kind help.

Best regards!

Hi acteno,

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Smiley Happy

Would you please share the solution here which will benefift the community who has the same issue?

Thanks,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.