Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gianmarco
Helper IV
Helper IV

Filtering by clicking on a visual and maintain across pages

Dear All,

I'd like to click on a visual (i.e. a row on a table) and by doing so activate the filter. The thing is: The filter works for the other visuals on the same page, but when I change page I lose the filter. 

Any idea on how to maintain the filter across pages by clicking on a visual?

Thanks so much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Hi again gianmarco 

As I mentioned above,

You can create a slicer, then on the top menu click view, sync slicers and use the tick boxes to sync the slicers on the other pages. When you select a slicer on one page it will then also apply to the specified pages. 

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-slicers 

Alternatively, you could create a drillthrough. So when a user clicks on a selection in a visual they can drillthough to another page based just on that selection.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-drillthrough 

When you click on a visual, it filters the other visuals in the same page only. It will not filter the visuals in the other pages. That is when you need to use sync slicers or drillthroughs. I sounds like drillthroughs will be ideal for you requirements.

Remember we are BI community voluntrees so please click the thumbs-up for me taking the trouble to help you and then accept the solution if it works.  Thank you !

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Sarakoth
Frequent Visitor

Not sure how this is flagged as solved as it seems it is simply not acheivable for some reason. The accepted solution does not understand the issue. I have a similar problem. I want to "highlight" a customer for example, across multiple pages. I select the customer on a table, and it will correctly highlight that customer on the other visualisations on that page, but it will not do so on other report pages. There does not appear a way to create or sync the table onto multiple pages like you can with a proper slicer. Likewise a slicer does not work becuase it will filter (and therefore ONLY display the single selected customer), rather than "highlight" the selected customer within all the others on the visuals.  

I agree. I believe I'm having the same question and did not find it solved here by the generic slicer options. Want to use an entire visual as a slicer. So clicking on the visual itself (not a category inside it) will show me that data in another visual with that relevant matrix of data.

Correct, this is exactly the problem I'm facing as well, I would like to use a table as a slicer more or less.

Did you find out any solution (or work-around) on this subject?

speedramps
Super User
Super User

Hi again gianmarco 

As I mentioned above,

You can create a slicer, then on the top menu click view, sync slicers and use the tick boxes to sync the slicers on the other pages. When you select a slicer on one page it will then also apply to the specified pages. 

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-slicers 

Alternatively, you could create a drillthrough. So when a user clicks on a selection in a visual they can drillthough to another page based just on that selection.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-drillthrough 

When you click on a visual, it filters the other visuals in the same page only. It will not filter the visuals in the other pages. That is when you need to use sync slicers or drillthroughs. I sounds like drillthroughs will be ideal for you requirements.

Remember we are BI community voluntrees so please click the thumbs-up for me taking the trouble to help you and then accept the solution if it works.  Thank you !

speedramps
Super User
Super User

Fsciencetech
Helper III
Helper III

As I understand - You are clicking any visual and activate the filter(Slicer). and other visuals filters on the same page.

if you are using slicer then you make sync the slicer and get the filter on other pages.

Fsciencetech_0-1635153454373.png

Dear @Fsciencetech 

I already activated the synchronization between filters in different pages. In fact, when I make a selection using the filter, it remains selected in other pages.
My problem, on the contrary, is: when I click on a visual, it filters the other visuals in the same page only. But I want the click on a visual to also filter the visuals in the other pages...

I can understand your requirement, but this functionaly is not available in Power BI yet.

@marcorusso , Please suggest if you have custom idea.

Dear @Fsciencetech 

I think I can manage this by means of Drill-throughs. 
But it would be amazing if you could activate filters (slicers) with only a click on a visual...

From my point of view, the Drill-through functionality as well as Sync slicers functionality are both limited in this regard.

Drill-through becomes unavailable as soon as the selection gets a bit complicated, just as selecting two elements in a visual at the same time or some categories - I don't understand what exactly blocks it, but something does.

Syncing just works for slicers only. But there are visuals behaving as slicers vithout visualising anything, such as Massfilter, but they are not actual slicers and don't allow syncing.

Therefore, I'd also very welcome the possibility of syncing visuals-filters across pages.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.