Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcbutts
Helper I
Helper I

Filtering by a column in another table slows down peformance

Hi,

I am trying to filter a column of item ID's by those found in a column in another table.  I used the following M code to filter:

= Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns2", each List.Contains(#"Forecast"[Item ID],[Master Item ID List]))

This seems to filter the existing "master item ID list" column appropriately, but then my file runs incredibly slow.  Applying any changes from this query takes like 10 minutes, whereas before this step it was 10 seconds.  I tried adding "Table.Buffer" to my source line in the advanced editor.  Any other thoughts to speed this up?  Should I be filtering a different way?

4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

It may be a good choice to transform the data before loading it, or to establish a relationship between two tables.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi V,

I do have a relationship established between each table and a "master table" that has all possible item ID's.  So think of each table as having a subset of those ID's.  When I'm trying to create visuals, I need to filter by the smaller of the two datasets, or I get a bunch of blanks and other errant data in the visual.

Is there another way to accomplish this without filtering the larger table by the smaller table in query editor?

kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Have you tried doing the filtering in the source, before loading the table?

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!