Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vcmoffatt
Frequent Visitor

Filtering across columns

Hi,

In the example below I want to filter those Customers that have a Discovery and Project Work. I want to filter out those Customers that do not have a Discovery. So for the example below I would like to remove rows 4 and 5. Is this possible, if so can you please tell me how? I have tried numerous approaches but none succesfully.

Many thanks

NumberCustomerProjectProject Type
1A1111Discovery
2A1112Project Work
3A1113Project Work
4B2222Project Work
5C3333Project Work
6D4444Discovery
7D4441Project Work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the Query Editor (Power Query) it can be done as follows.

Steps:

1. Sort on Customer then on Project Type, so "Discovery"  will sort before "Project Work".
  2. Add 2 indices, 1 starting with 1 and 1 with 0 so you can merge the table with itself in such a way that you have your previous customer on the same row as the current customer.
  3. Sort again on Index as the merge could have disrupted the sort.
  4. Add a column "Keep" with true if the Project Type is "Discovery", false if it is a new customer, otherwise null.
  5. Filldown the values in the column, so you get trues in all rows for customers with a project type " Discovery".
  6. Select row with "Keep"  = true.
  7. Remove columns that are no longer needed.

Generated code, starting with the first step after your last step (which I called PreviousStep, so adjust with the name of your last step):

#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(PreviousStep,{{"Customer", Order.Ascending}, {"Project Type", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1",{"Index"},#"Added Index1",{"Index.1"},"Previous",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Previous" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Previous", {"Customer"}, {"Previous.Customer"}),
    #"Sorted Rows1" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded Previous",{{"Index", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows1", "Keep", each if [Project Type] = "Discovery" then true else (if [Customer] <> [Previous.Customer] then false else null)),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Keep"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each ([Keep] = true)),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Index", "Index.1", "Previous.Customer", "Keep"})
in
    #"Removed Columns1"

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In the Query Editor (Power Query) it can be done as follows.

Steps:

1. Sort on Customer then on Project Type, so "Discovery"  will sort before "Project Work".
  2. Add 2 indices, 1 starting with 1 and 1 with 0 so you can merge the table with itself in such a way that you have your previous customer on the same row as the current customer.
  3. Sort again on Index as the merge could have disrupted the sort.
  4. Add a column "Keep" with true if the Project Type is "Discovery", false if it is a new customer, otherwise null.
  5. Filldown the values in the column, so you get trues in all rows for customers with a project type " Discovery".
  6. Select row with "Keep"  = true.
  7. Remove columns that are no longer needed.

Generated code, starting with the first step after your last step (which I called PreviousStep, so adjust with the name of your last step):

#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(PreviousStep,{{"Customer", Order.Ascending}, {"Project Type", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1",{"Index"},#"Added Index1",{"Index.1"},"Previous",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Previous" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Previous", {"Customer"}, {"Previous.Customer"}),
    #"Sorted Rows1" = Table.Sort(#"Expanded Previous",{{"Index", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows1", "Keep", each if [Project Type] = "Discovery" then true else (if [Customer] <> [Previous.Customer] then false else null)),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Keep"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each ([Keep] = true)),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Index", "Index.1", "Previous.Customer", "Keep"})
in
    #"Removed Columns1"

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thank you, took me a while to get my head round it, but that works.

Victoria

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors